• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

mono hooklinks

Chris Thomson

Just curious what people are using and if there using a braid hair or continuation of the mono? Thought it would make a change from landing net handles!

Guru n gauge or prestons power line for me. Tried tying a hair with some .07, worked well and should alow the bait to move more freely.

I go with the braid hair i like the movement with it.....Does it make any difference who knows..For me its a confidence thing....

couple of years back I had a lot of fish using 12lb big game straight through to the hair

korda choddy hooks , knotless knot set up , but with a slight twist

rather than the usual hair loop , I just left the hair straight , drilled pellets for hook bait and glued them on

I was fishing very rocky and snaggy sections of river which meant every fish could mean a new hooklink , big game was up to the job and at a fraction of the cost of 'hooklink' material

not really sure why ive stopped using that set up :rolleyes:

another advantage was I could vary the gap between the top of the bait and bottom of the hook just by cutting the hair to length

Last edited:
I toyed with braid, flurocarbon and mono combinations last season. I can honestly report that to me it made absolutely no difference to my catch rate whatsoever on the lower severn.

I do however favour the directness of braid mainline with a braid hooklink.

I firmly believe it's all a matter of confidence. Use what you are most confident with for the best results.

Back