• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bristol/Horsham

Leon Dodd

Hi all, I was hoping for some help in the above areas, as on Wednesday I will be at the premier inn at hengrove leisure park as I am working in the area and wondered if anybody could point me in the direction of some day ticket fishing in the area (say within half an hours drive), and on Thursday I will be in Horsham looking for the same.
Any info would be greatly appreciated, pm if preferred, many thanks , Leon

Bristol....The nearest place to where you are working with a very remote chance of a barbel is at Keynsham...
pop in keynsham angling shop down at the marina they will sell you a ticket £5 or £6 i think..
Nick davidson is the shop owner and used to post on here in the bristol avon thread..
you can leave the car on the bit of a car park/wasteland by the shop as the stretch opposite frys chocolate factory is across the road from his shop via a tunnel under the road, not that many barbel there but they do get caught mainly by accident in matches rather than by design, it will be quiet on the stretch as it's hardly fished now.
there is a free bit below the weir but i've never fished it.. nick will put you straight anyway..

Ahh Keynsham weir, took my 3 kids when they were young a few years back, and just below the weir is a small narrow concrete 'walk' that we all fished from. Phil No 2 son was as always super keen, and was soon into a fish and in his excitement stepped forward and went straight down into the River without making a spalsh, and resurfaced with his Drennan cap still in place and holding his rod. I managed to help him to the side to land both him and the eel.:)

But it is a hard venue if Barbel are the target, Limpley Stoke may be better but that's a club water etc, probably the best 'free' water is not in Bristol but Chippenham, just out of the town and towards Calne, I could be specific but wouldn't be fair on the local lads. But you will see the natural barbel areas if you get time to go there.

Horsham, used to drive there and back for months from Glos, cant remember seeing any Rivers that looked 'Barbelly', and I always look :)

Cheers for that Neil, it's a pity about Horsham as I have all day on Thursday after I have travelled from Bristol, might look at going further afield, probably could drive 90 minutes away if I could find somewhere decent to go, might have to call into a tackle shop and see what I can find out

Leon, realistically you need to fish upstream from bath..
amalgamated anglers sell day tickets for various stretches which can be found on their website.. the most popular for barbel are limpley stoke, avoncliffe and lacock.. be aware though the river is only a shadow of it's former self although having said that a few good fish have shown this early in the season with a few doubles coming out as well, it's very low as most rivers are at the moment..
have a browse through..
Amalgamated Fisheries Ltd - formally Bath, Bristol & Wiltshire Amalgamated Anglers

Leon,

Regret I can't help at the Horsham end due to 2 reasons. 1) my own work commitments and 2) my local club does not permit guest tickets before August 1st.....can I suggest that you break your journey from Bristol and stop off in the Reading area. Reading & District and Calpac have stretches of the Kennet available on day ticket. I've caught from Readings Beat 3B and also Calpacs Sulhampstead stretches. When at Horsham you are about an hour away from the Thames at Hampton Court. I've personally never fished there but have had a couple of positive reports about the stretch....please feel at ease to drop me a PM if you would like to and I'll happily let you have my phone contact for a chat.

Regards

Bill W

Only just seen this. There's not any day ticket river fishing around Horsham that I can think of. If you can come towards Horsham via the M3, Hoggs Back, and through Guilford I think the Wey in the town centre is either free or day ticket. Alternatively if you're coming via J9 of M25 you've got plenty of the river mole, but it's pretty much all club water that I can think of. There's a lake complex just south of Dorking called Henfold lakes, turn left at Bare Green just after the petrol station.

Thanks for the help guys, ended up on the Kennet and blanked, lovely river though, hope it's not too long before I get another go,
Cheers, Leon

Hard Luck Leon....PM sent

Bill...:)

Back