• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Morning or afternoon?

I habitually go for an evening start and fish a couple of hours into darkness. This is when i have caught most of my fish. However, if I look back at my personal best list the top 3 fish were all taken in the morning and most of my top 10 were taken in daylight. I think it is always worth trying to do the opposite of everyone else is doing.

Steve

Hi men ,

Just catch the last servings on brekkie at Mc Donald's gets us to our bits of rivers late morning !.

Hatter

I prefer to fish from first light because there tends to be very few people about but often feel that my chances are decreasing the higher the sun gets; by fishing from late afternoon my confidence increases as the day progresses. The first hour after sunset is often a golden period as I'm sure we've all experienced.

Mostly an afternoon or evening start for me although it can restrict my swim choice because of other anglers preferring an earlier start and already being on the bank when I arrive, I prefer a later start as the river I fish I fish is small and clear and I belive the fish feed naturally later in the day after hiding away all day.

Due to advancing years I fish from 11/30 am to 4pm perhaps once a fortnight
I have caught some nice chub and barbel from a small river.i have never found this a hindrance to catching fish.i have never fished at night simply because I am happy catching like this
Albert

Afternoon for me 4.00 pm on wards. That's when most anglers are packing away and I have more space (hate crowds ) and bless them they been baiting the swim up for me

I have a 37 mile drive to my nearest river, so I aim to be past the local schools by 3.pm at the latest...... thats so I dont have to negociate the parents .. mums mostly, picking up the little darlings from school..the state of their parking, driving home with the mobile phone in hand, and not seeing where they are going and not being aware of other road users is enough to give an aspirin a headache.

Sorry, Rant Over....

It also means I will be onthe bank for about 4 ish, when the day anglers are packing up to go.

I will fish probably from 4.30 pm to about 11pm or midnight, unless there is a full moon which I find can really put the fish off the feed. Warm and overcast will still see me there at 2am.

Dave

In five years of fishing the ribble I've never had a barbel before 1.45pm and never had one after 7.40pm. Didn't have one today either! :mad:

as dean,late afternoon till midnight, cant with work

At this time of year, I'm rarely out before lunch. I would much prefer to fish up to an hour after dark and invariably, there's usually only the regulars out at that time.

In winter, if conditions are good, I may be there for 10ish. It's meant to be fun after all and I've never been any good at getting out of bed!

On the Avon, I find that anything after an hour and a half after dark is of no advantage over day fishing but that hour and a half IS the time!

Regards,

Jeff

I haven't started yet as the whole spawning cycle seems to be a bout a month behind on the local rivers, I will probably start end of July and then it will be one or two evening sessions as they give me most success on two rivers, sessions from about 8pm to 12pm/2am depending on whether it's a school night or not.

I also find the Wye fishes best evenings even to midnight.

If fishing another local river I have more success fishing early mornings.

I prefer mornings in the summer and autumn months and evenings in the winter. Love being on the river at dawn which means the alarm is set for 3am at the moment giving enough time for a brew, chuck the gear in the car and get to the river. Back home well before last orders on the McD's breakfast, which is a shame as sometimes i fancy a big mac.

Not really a question that will provide a simple, meaningful answer for you Chris, if that was what you were hoping for. Obviously if given the choice, most would fish at the time their previous experiences had suggested was the most likely time to catch on their water/s. However, the fact is that most anglers can't fish at the times they would choose anyway, because of work, family and other commitments....so that will have a bearing on the answers you get. Also, according to those who have experienced barbel fishing on many venues, the main catching window varies from river to river.....so again that will greatly influence the answers you will get to your question. What I am saying is...if your question was intended to help you find the ultimate or definitive 'best time' to go fishing....there isn't one. However, if it was just a general 'let's talk fishing' type question...it's could lead to some interesting replies :D

For me, late afternoon into the night, perhaps up until 2.0 AM, is my very favourite time to fish. It is just an absolutely magic period for me...the dusk slowly closing in raises the excitement levels for me every time, so evocative, so many happy memories to think back on while waiting for that first bite....love it. Me being me, I prefer to fish that period wherever I go, whenever possible, with nothing more logical than that to influence my decision. Daft but true....and I don't think I am the only one who sees things that way :p

Cheers, Dave.

For me it would depend on the condition of the river .
If its low and clear , Then late afternoon untill its the dark .

If there is any flood water on and the water is coloured . Then for me I would get there some time in the morning and fish until the evening
I dont have a fixed time . I go with the flow :)

Not really a question that will provide a simple, meaningful answer for you Chris, if that was what you were hoping for. Obviously if given the choice, most would fish at the time their previous experiences had suggested was the most likely time to catch on their water/s. However, the fact is that most anglers can't fish at the times they would choose anyway, because of work, family and other commitments....so that will have a bearing on the answers you get. Also, according to those who have experienced barbel fishing on many venues, the main catching window varies from river to river.....so again that will greatly influence the answers you will get to your question. What I am saying is...if your question was intended to help you find the ultimate or definitive 'best time' to go fishing....there isn't one. However, if it was just a general 'let's talk fishing' type question...it's could lead to some interesting replies :D

For me, late afternoon into the night, perhaps up until 2.0 AM, is my very favourite time to fish. It is just an absolutely magic period for me...the dusk slowly closing in raises the excitement levels for me every time, so evocative, so many happy memories to think back on while waiting for that first bite....love it. Me being me, I prefer to fish that period wherever I go, whenever possible, with nothing more logical than that to influence my decision. Daft but true....and I don't think I am the only one who sees things that way :p

Cheers, Dave.
a bit of both really, there is a lot of interesting answers indeed all and which are hopefully going to aid me in putting more bars of of gold on the unhooking mat.

Back