• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Be careful out there!

Barry Garwood

Senior Member & Supporter
Hello everyone, with the forecast of gale force winds and a lot of rain on sunday and monday, just a cautionary be careful out there message! we havent had proper floods yet and coupled with very strong winds the conditions could be dangerous! dont want any accidents!

Another danger these storms bring is falling trees. The stretch of small river I spend most of my time on has crack willows through the whole of the length....I am talking large trees every few yards. These trees certainly live up to their name...I would say that every time there is some unusually heavy wind, 6 or 8 trees split and at least partially come down along our stretch...and that is less than a mile long.

I have lost count over the years of the number of swims I have regularly fished that have had large trees/partial trees laying across the area where I would normally be sitting, after a storm. I now look long and hard at a swim I am contemplating fishing, if there are extra strong winds forecast...or occurring at the time.

Cheers, Dave.

With all that cover it sounds like a good stretch to fish Dave!!;) But not in high storm conditions, be careful one and all.:)

Also watch carefully to avoid undercut banks as these do give way regulary with a heavy push of water and its more often than not DEEP in these swims

Hi men,

With the condition we have had the year the trees still have a large amount to leaf cover , add lots of ivy , then high winds are quiet dangerous for all . A bit of the Kennet we fish has large trees and a month ago we had one come down behind as at some distance that still made an incredible amount of noise !.

Hatter

Three weeks ago I was sitting tucked up in a nice swim on the river Nidd. For a couple of hours I heard some cracking, it sounded like a deer making its way up towards me through the branches of the overhanging trees, not seeing anything when I went for a look, settled back down.
Just as the light was going, a tree some 4ft away from me started to keel over with its roots ripping out of the bank.
My luck was in as the angle it came down missed me by a few feet, the end of my rod by inches.
I gave my fishing buddy a call to tell him what had happened. He was shocked! "is the swim still fishable mate ???" :) Erm...NOPE, but don't worry, I am okay"can we get a rope round it and drag it out ?" :)
No way could I have guessed the tree was going to go in, it was the wrong place, wrong time, I was very lucky.
My swim choice has changed since then untill I get my bottle back! :)

Back