• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Powerstretch - replacement collar for thread

Garry Lee

Hi all,

I have a Powerstratch net handle and managed to snap off the collar containing the thread, net attached to handle in quiver on top of car whilst driving @ 60mph not one of my brighter moments :eek:

Could anyone point me in the right direction for getting a replacement collar?

Not interested in replacing the handle, as get (got!) on well with this one.

Thanks

Garry

P. M.

Right then, 9 months later and I'm determined to fix it, so anyone know where I can get either a replacement collar or top section?

Hi Gary

So you lost the bit that broke off then? Have a read of my (old) article on modifying one

Does this help? Since modifying mine in '08 I'm still using it, so it's a great handle whatever some may say :)

Powerstretch landing net handle

Hi Paul

Unfortunately I never found the collar, I was fortunate enough to spot the landing net lying alongside the A31, which I then retrieved, but the spreader block and collar were nowhere to be seen.

Looking at your article, I have a different version to the one shown, mine has a twist-lock rather than lever system, I'll have another look at the mods when I've sourced a collar.

Garry

Yes, I had the twistlock type, but returned it to the shop and got a replacement. After a few weeks took another back and got a refund. My fishing buddy went through a very similar experience with this handle.The pole material was a strange mix of materials which furred up after exposure to water.

Didn't notice an issue with the material furring up, probably didn't get it wet often enough!

Some of the ebay ones are just alloy and quite soft. Stainless and brass are the most durable.

Any engineering workshops local to you Garry?
If so, get someone to turn a 316 st/stl headed insert about 30 -35mm long with a 4-5mm shoulder to match the handle, then pin it with a 4-5mm dia stainless pin far enough away from the head as not to obstruct the spreader block's 3/8'' BSF male thread.
I replaced my own as a matter of course years ago, and have refurbed 4 others for mates over the years. Don't go for a cheap annodised alloy insert.
It should take about 3/4 hour for a handy engineer to sort it if he has the materials in stock.
PS.. don't ask me I've just retired!! :D
dt

Back