• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

EXCITING NEWS ! THE BARBEL SHOW 2014: SUNDAY 4th MAY

Howard Cooke

Evening folks,

On behalf of The Barbel Society, I am really excited to announce details of the 2014 Barbel Show and a big thank you to Andy for kindly allowing me to do so.

Date: 4th May 2014, 9 am to 5 pm

Venue: Chesford Grange Hotel, Coventry Road, Kenilworth, Warwickshire, CV8 2LD

Yes but who's speaking? John Bailey, Bob Roberts, Paul Witcher, Terry Theobald and Dr Mark Everard, that's who.

That sounds great but what about other stuff? Yep, large trade room, bait, tackle, books, DVD's and all at pre-season prices.

Hang on, what about a raffle with super prizes? Yes indeedy and it's mega.

Wow, I want to be part of that. How do I get tickets? Easy, go straight to the Barbel Society website The Barbel Society and you can pay by Paypal (£1 surcharge) or, send a cheque (payable to The Barbel Society) and a SAE to:

The Barbel Society
17 Mayford Road
Poole
Dorset
BH12 1PT

That's a tremendous day and what would make it complete is if the entry price could be, I don't know, like £8 for members and £10 for non-members. Any chance? Yes, that's spot on. Plus other halves and children under 16 can come along for free (well you will need help with all your shopping bags full of shiny stuff for the new season).

Oh, I have realised to my horror that I am not currently a member of the Society. I don't suppose there is a chance I could join on the day? Yes we can sort that and renewals too. There will be some time slots made available for this very thing.

I really hope to see you there and it will be great opportunity for forum members to actually get together, like for real, in person. We can continue our lively discussions about the merits or otherwise of the close season. Although knives, guns, medieval torture equipment and squirty lemon juice devices will need to be left at the door prior to entry.

All the best.

Howard

Howard you forgot to mention The Pope will be there.

Regards Ray Thorpe.

Of course Ray, It goes without saying and Steve will be up first (around 9.45am) to open the show. MC for the day will be Jon Berry. I will post up the running order for the guest speakers soon.

Good man! I'll be expecting baby around that point so I'll tread carefully when informing the woman, but all should be fine. I missed last years social, good job though, everyone looked and smelt like tramps the following morning. Too much fun was had by the looks of it. :D

What are you trying to say Steve?? Mr Pope is a barbel legend and has the welfare of the fish as his first and highest priority. :mad:

Nick,

I have to admit I'm not a very political animal when it comes to Barbel fishing so I have never had anything to do with the BS. However I am lucky enough to be a member of some syndicates where I have met some truly gifted and committed anglers. We enjoy both fishing together and more than a few pints down the pub, and it is during these conversations that I get some idea of the individuals history and the road that has led them to their current position. During these conversations it has amazed me how many of them speak with great emotion about their negative experience with the BS. Therefore I have formed the opinion that the BS has probably done more to stop Barbel Anglers being one big happy family than anything else.

One thing is for certain, if the BS cannot tolerate the 1st class anglers I fish with then they, or some individuals in their ranks, certainly have more on their agenda than promoting angling for Barbel

Steve

Nick,

I have to admit I'm not a very political animal when it comes to Barbel fishing so I have never had anything to do with the BS. However I am lucky enough to be a member of some syndicates where I have met some truly gifted and committed anglers. We enjoy both fishing together and more than a few pints down the pub, and it is during these conversations that I get some idea of the individuals history and the road that has led them to their current position. During these conversations it has amazed me how many of them speak with great emotion about their negative experience with the BS. Therefore I have formed the opinion that the BS has probably done more to stop Barbel Anglers being one big happy family than anything else.

One thing is for certain, if the BS cannot tolerate the 1st class anglers I fish with then they, or some individuals in their ranks, certainly have more on their agenda than promoting angling for Barbel

Steve

I respect your views Steve. Personally I take my own counsel on such things and reach my own conclusions on people and organisations based on my personal interactions and experiences. I found far too many times how events can become distorted by misinformation, misunderstanding or mischief. Politics is an unavoidable dynamic within any organisation no matter how unified the group is in terms of purpose and intent.

I have got involved with the society because of their ethos and core objectives. I have no doubt that over the last 20 or so years there have been disputes around how to execute those core objectives. I am far more interested in looking forward than back and reaching my own conclusions. And now more than ever perhaps, those of us that love barbel fishing (or river fishing in general) should be doing what we can to identify and build on common ground.

I absolutely do not want this thread to degenerate into a debate about the Society itself and I really hope that doesn't happen. People should of course choose whether or not to engage with it and attend the show. I would always respect someone's personal choice and perspective.

Hope that's OK Steve.

All the best.

Howard,

Certainly OK with me and I totally respect your views and I hope the get together is a big success.

Steve

Back