• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

replacement net for whitlock spoon

Ed Green

Would anybody have the details of anybody that can provide a decent net replacement for a whitlock spoon 32''.
I have tried all the usual people ,like Sharpes of aberdeen ,who supplied the last replacement to no avail.
Ive had the whitlock frame for the best part of 20yrs and still going strong, a bit like Triggers broom, just needs the net.
Many thanks Ed

Hi Ed,
Try giving Nigel Gray a ring at Davis tackle in Christchurch, he may be able to help, Fred Whitlock is still a regular in his shop.
Nigel is a BFW member.

Last edited:
Why not just buy the korum or gardner one for around £20 and take the mesh off that.

Recently went through this with my Gye net. Eventually got what I needed from Mc Hardy's of Carlisle, very quick delivery and a good quality net. They are game fishing nets so the mesh sizes are larger than coarse fish nets are usually. My 24" net has a mesh of about 1/2". Biggest size listed is 30", might be possible to squeeze it on.
Cheers
Paul

Last time this came up someone suggested Lumby's lureweave mesh. Its what I use all the time but your sinker will drop through the holes.

Thanks for the replies fellas, its fairly obvious that the manufacturers want you to buy a new net and frame, and as such don't supply the net alone.
I think i'll enrol in a local crochet class, during the close season , and knit my own.
I refuse to buy **** just because it's endorsed by a name!!!

I'm in the same situation as you Ed I too have a Whitlock spoon that could do with a new mesh almost impossible to buy them. And the new nets and frames are not built to last.

Not sure if they are still in business but Redport Nets would have a solution......

Thanks Ian excellent.

Many thanks for that Ian, I spoke to them yesterday.
It appears that they have a woman who will make a net to suit,i.e. mesh size and dimensions to fit fame and depth. The only problem is that its cream in colour.
They do say that you can dye whatever colour you want with Dylon.
Order is in so i'm putting away the crochet set!!!

Back