• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

kings weir

Paul White

don't know if you all know but barbel society have now got the rights to fish the lea below the weir,the part that used to be season ticket,up to the boundary with fishers green.on your barbel society membership including secure parking in their car park.good news.

Hi guys,

Bad news I'm afraid. I got a message from Andy about this. He's said that they have made a deal with the Barbel Society but the members stretch at kings weir is still their own private member stretch and the Barbel Society do not have fishing rights on there.

It's well worth joining there though if you live nearby or are able to travel as there are some phenomenal fish in their stretch.

confused?

What do the barbel society have?
I haven't been on their site yet
Jack, which Andy are we talking about
I thought Barbara ran kings weir

Slight confusion in the wording. BS members have permission to fish the downstream section (the members section) at kings weir. You'll be required to produce your members card. The BS have not taken over the rights.

Hey Jack hope you are well
Just seen the post on bfw about the bs
The guy has got that all wrong completely the it still is a members stretch and the bs do not have the fishing rights to the river we have done a deal with the barbel society that is it its still our fishery could you post stating that for me as can't as not a member on the bfw would be appreciated mate

That's what I got. Andy is Barbra's son in law, he keeps the fishery all in order.

The newsletter did seem a little confusing ,i re-read the page a number of times and still could not work out the exact details.Probably leading to the confusion in this thread.It does seem a bad deal for the members of the stretch who pay £75 yearly and then see Barbel society members fishing alongside for free.I know what i would do if i was a member. Its possible the situation might change closer to the season if the membership numbers drop. Maybe the numbers have already dropped and those controlling see it as a way of introducing new blood and potential for the future.

The BS along with the EA have just stocked a back stream at kings weir with 500 barbel and 1000 chub and are using the area as a nursery. Should help the fishing no end, I assume that's why BS and KW have come up with a deal for fishing. Sounds fair enough I say.

Last edited:
The BS along with the EA have just stocked a back stream at kings weir with 500 barbel and 1000 chub and are using the area as a nursery. Should help the fishing no end, I assume that's why BS and KW have come up with a deal for fishing. Sounds fair enough I say.

That's where the Barbel used to spawn, but the Crayfish problem as more a less put a stop to it.

Them fish will move up and down the complete stretch of the river and even move about the relief channel and can go for miles because of another run off and so on.

That complete stretch of river as been stocked many times now with small Barbel and Chub and Dace etc and the Cormorants just strip it out. I had a copy of the all EA survey reports, but fair play to the B.S trying to do something about, but when you read back in a Barbel Fisher mag in the 1990's when they had a Junior day down there with some good anglers, I don't think one Barbel got caught along the Fishersgreen stretch.

Nice place to be and there is still a few fish to be caught, but not in numbers and you need to fish moving bait when them Crayfish are active.

I am not familiar with the stretch itself but am aware that after the EA initially agreed to stock the "nursery" with around 200 small barbel, the Barbel Society agreed to use part of its Research and Conservation fund to provide additional stocking of small barbel. In December last year 440 barbel averaging around 8 inches were introduced and the EA completed their stocking a week before Christmas and eventually introduced 500 6 inch barbel. The stocking in fact also included 1000 chub. There is going to be a full report of this project in the next Barbel FIsher magazine.

Back