• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Walton pin

Nick Anderson

No Longer a Member
I managed to buy a ray Walton centeepin last month for the upcoming season. I went to my tench lake yesterday and blanked on tench but had four bream and a small carp. I wasn't happy with the wobble on the reel playing a bream. Has anyone else had this problem?

They tend to wobble common problem.

That's the most pointless post ever. QUOTE.. HA ... nicking dave halls job ...he does it on a daily basis ..:D

Hi Nick,was the reel second hand or was it a brand new model,i suspect it was a mk1 reel. I have not seen a mk11 but they are supposed to have a locking mechanism which locks the reel in place when playing fish.Does the reel seem to collapse/turn/twist under playing pressure?.Ray Walton replied on a post about the reel a couple of years ago ,i seem to think Youngs can retrofit the lock,but dont quote me on that.

Hi nick,

It's a common problem with that reel. I heard last year that a new version was coming out but haven't seen any updates since....I sold mine after playing the first barbel. If you learn to cast off the side of a Centrepin then it's exactly the same. Use braid though as the line twist with mono can be horrible. If you're keeping it then give Garry Mills a call and I'm sure he can mod it so the problem stops. He makes all of Youngs reels.

Last edited:
if your mate fixes it and alters something make sure it doesn,t invalidate your warranty, i sent mine off to youngs and the sorted it out and returned it with no charge or postage, brilliant service

The first centrepin I bought was a Ray Walton (Mk11), and it wobbled ridiculously so I rang Youngs and they told me to send it to them. I then got it back and it was no different, and when I rang them to thank them for not fixing the issue I was told that wobble is unavoidable because it is a moving mechanism.
I sold it on ebay, bought a Kingpin and learnt to cast properly and it was the best thing I've ever done in fishing terms. I'd strongly urge anyone considering buying a rolling pin to not bother. The satisfaction of being able to Wallis cast a freelined bit of meat or a float pretty much anywhere you want on the river is immense, and well worth the initial pain in the arse of a couple of birds nests and re-spooling!!
Since making the transition from fixed spool to centrepins I hate using a fixed spool now. Pay a bit more money for a Kingpin and you won't regret it, the ratchets are super strong and the build quality is immense and will last a lifetime. And no bloody wobble!!

They are "marmite" pins, you either love them or hate them!

I have two and love them, I use them when ever I can while barbel fishing. Yep, they both have a slight wobble but who cares

They are "marmite" pins, you either love them or hate them!

I have two and love them, I use them when ever I can while barbel fishing. Yep, they both have a slight wobble but who cares��

I'm with you on this Tom and use mine a great deal. They do have a very slight wobble which I have simply accepted as a consequence of their swivelling ability and it never bothers me. At the end of the day they enable me to fish happily with a pin and do so knowing I can cast any distance I need with confidence. It's not a purists approach and I feel a twinge of guilt from time to time. Much the same as when I use hooks to nylon.

To be fair, I did spend a great deal of time one close season practising casting with a pin in my garden. The rest of the family stayed in doors the entire time, their anxious faces pressed firmly against the window. It wasn't a success. I frequently got snagged in rose bushes and then cat fur which necessitated pulling for a break. Then a small child from next door had to be resuscitated. Twice in fact. Although as I explained to the police officer, it was sort of the child's fault for placing his trampoline so close to his garden fence. I tried a similar argument when discussing the cat situation with the RSPCA officer who arrived just as the police officer was leaving. Why did it insist on sleeping on the roof of the garden shed? Anyway, apparently the two officers are now married and have children of their own, so that sort of makes what happened OK doesn't it. Although annoyingly I didn't get a wedding invite despite bringing them together. My new neighbours don't have a trampoline so I could perhaps think about investing some more time on a bit of casting practice.

Happy days.

Last edited:
I think Blackadder called it a wibble.....(second most pointless post ever?) :)

By the way, I have a Lewtham Quest, which does a similar job without the aforementioned problem...

where has my fishing partner gone :D

I had to stay off here otherwise I think I would have been banned he wound me up that much with his dribble I started to have a go at others ;)

Would love a day using a pin for grayling :D wrong froum?

I would not worry too much if I were you John. Judging by previous form the lad will be back by tomorrow. That's if his spooky mate aint sorted him a new ID already.

Back