• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The perfect canine companion - which dog?

Steve Double

When my days as a wage slave cease (a while to go, sadly), high on my priority list is getting a dog. It needs to be, of course, a fishing-compatible dog.

But, a bit like choosing a new boilie for next season, I can't decide which one.

The options seems to be:

1. A Labrador. The Ford Mondeo of dogs, popular and reliable. While their obedience levels seem to be good, the one's I've seen seem to prefer spending as much time in water as out of it. Are they potential swim wreckers?

2. A Jack Russell. Or two Jack Russells, as they seem to come in pairs - is it buy one, get one free? Convenient size, and seem to like the country life, and would probably see off a mink or otter given half the chance, I'd imagine. But also liable to spend days on end down rabbit holes, perhaps.

3. The border collie. Another good country dog but they seem to vary from the mildly hyper to the completely unhinged. Anyone who has met Clooney on the banks of the Wye will know what I mean.

What do our dog-owning experts say?

009_zpsfbfd7408.jpg

This one.
She talks to me when the dropoff starts to move.

Last edited:
I've got two cockers Steve, lovely dogs but need a lot of grooming and cleaning, I'd go with a short haired breed if I was you.

Definitely not a jack russell! Mines a belter of a dog, very smart, good natured and great for walking up and down the banks finding new swims. Take him fishing and he's a nightmare! Paddles in the water, diggs holes like he's lost a pot of gold and drops a stick 5yds from me then barks as loud as he can till I get up and throw it. This continues till I give in and take him home!

West highland terrier, all have their own personality and don't need a lot of walking.
Also you can fit a large cat flap to your door which enables you to go fishing without feeling guilty about locking them in the house.

your all wrong!

its got to be a otter hound! becoming quite rare and one of our endangered dog brreds, you no it makes sense

A labrador every time. Best dogs in the world and if you train them properly, they won't leave your side.

Regards,

Hugo

Flat coated retriever, similar looks to a labrador but they actually have a brain too!

I tried to take my German Short Haired Pointers fishing didn't go exactly to plan. I ended up tangled up in dog leads and stuff flying everywhere. I may need to tire them out first lol

Brian

Almost any kind of hound dog (I have a Walker Coonhound, very similar to an English Foxhound). Great temperaments and not too water friendly that they're going to go jumping in your swim. However they do need quite a lot of exercise. Almost any dog is a good dog though if it's a rescue :)

deary me

[QUOTE (I have a Walker Coonhound, very similar to an English Foxhound). :)[/QUOTE]

I know what a foxhound hunts ,and what a otter hound hunts but what does yours hunt?:eek:

Currently I have a Springer and a Lab, as much as I love the Springer he can be a nightmare, the Lab is so much more laid back.

Lab every time.

105.jpg

dogs

did have four chow chows down to last one ,they were all bone idle suited me down to the ground:eek:, but good guard dogs

Not a collie to active a mind always want to be on the go.

Robert B, his he a pug ? He looks a bit like my Puggle, ( half pug half beagle ). :)

Say hello to Ralph, 6 months old.

Ralph.jpg

Still too playful to take fishing, and maybe too expensive if he gets a taste for carbon.

Last edited:
Back