• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Your own piece of heaven

Paul Boyle

Hello guys

For years I've wanted to have my own stretch of river / small syndicate ,ill properly never will but would like ask ,have any of you ..

I know very little about this so could anyone fill me in how you go about it ..

thanks

My own lake with a cabin on site with all the amenity's, all i need is a lottery win.

I too have thought about this Paul. In fact, as part of the usual round of house hunting one endures before finally finding the one (or the one you can actually afford) we looked at a house in a small village not far from Hungerford in Berkshire. My wife thought it rather drab and ugly and in need of major cosmetic surgery. But, whilst the garden was relatively small, at the end was the river Kennet. A proper stretch too with a bit of depth to it and perhaps a couple of very fishy looking swims. There was also a small summer house neatly positioned close to the river. As I stood in that garden my mind was racing as I painted many pictures. These mostly consisted of me arriving home from work on a summers evening, quickly getting changed and heading straight to the bottom of the garden, grabbing a beer from the fridge on the way. The barbel rods were already set up of course in the summer house and within 5 minutes I would be fishing. The cat would be by my side, my daughter reading or practicing the violin. My wife, watching Emmerdale. I have never admitted this before, but standing in the garden I had a little, no really quite tiny, cry. I might also have let out a little bit of wee. But that's not important right now.

The estate agent, Tarquin, rabbited on about this and that but I wasn't paying attention. Any compromises with the house itself were inconsequential. Although that's not the term I actually used when responding to my wife's concerns.

And then the thing happened. The big thing. As Tarquin was heading back inside, he uttered the words. Yes THE words. He said: "of course, it doesn't come with fishing rights".

Annoyingly, all my persuasive arguments deployed with so much passion and conviction up to that very point had really worked and my wife was reaching for the cheque book. Back tracking was going to be nigh on impossible, plus I am a principled person and value integrity in everything I do. So instead, I looked at my phone and said "oh my god, I've been sacked. No job, no money. I am so sorry..."

A friend of mine saw the fishing rights to a length of the R Wye for sale on a website. It was then 'just' the job of persuading his wife and then sorting out the finances. There are often fisheries and fishing rights for sale, trouble is they are usually horrendously expensive.

Here you go Paul,..get yer chequebook out!
Fishing Rights bought and sold in England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland
Don't forget that nearly every time the adjacent land changes hands you often have to engage a brief to prove that the land does'nt include fishing rights!
Amazing how often land is purchaced without a proper search at the Land Registry being undertaken.
Mind you, I have known fields to change hands over a game of cards!!

Great anecdote as ever Howard..

Last edited:
Hi men,

Not trying to hard I could have had 2 bits of the Teme , look for stretches that have access problems , :D , clubs struggle to take them on , and farmers / landowners find out that fishing rights may not be a pot of gold !.

Hatter

Its easy to get your own bit of water if you get off your arse and try. 10 years since I set up the HPS syndicate on the Trent, still going strong.

Do you rent the land/fishing rights Tony ?

Who in the right mind would buy a piece of land for 40.000 k or + on the Teme say as an investment for or with fishing rights with fish stocks the way they are :(.The dream( fantasy ) of buying a property by the river has long since passed for me ..:(

Thanks for the reply's guys

Leased around 2 miles of the upper Bristol Avon when the BS relinquished renting the stretch. Seemed like a great idea at the time but a few situations arose which took some of the 'shine' out of it. Finally, with the advent of some furry f(r)iends, fish stocks of the larger fish became low to non existent - like much of the river and after 3 or 4 years I gave up the lease.

It can be a bit complicated if you do things certain ways and there can be 'hidden' costs and responsibilities.

I too have thought about this Paul. In fact, as part of the usual round of house hunting one endures before finally finding the one (or the one you can actually afford) we looked at a house in a small village not far from Hungerford in Berkshire. My wife thought it rather drab and ugly and in need of major cosmetic surgery. But, whilst the garden was relatively small, at the end was the river Kennet. A proper stretch too with a bit of depth to it and perhaps a couple of very fishy looking swims. There was also a small summer house neatly positioned close to the river. As I stood in that garden my mind was racing as I painted many pictures. These mostly consisted of me arriving home from work on a summers evening, quickly getting changed and heading straight to the bottom of the garden, grabbing a beer from the fridge on the way. The barbel rods were already set up of course in the summer house and within 5 minutes I would be fishing. The cat would be by my side, my daughter reading or practicing the violin. My wife, watching Emmerdale. I have never admitted this before, but standing in the garden I had a little, no really quite tiny, cry. I might also have let out a little bit of wee. But that's not important right now.

The estate agent, Tarquin, rabbited on about this and that but I wasn't paying attention. Any compromises with the house itself were inconsequential. Although that's not the term I actually used when responding to my wife's concerns.

And then the thing happened. The big thing. As Tarquin was heading back inside, he uttered the words. Yes THE words. He said: "of course, it doesn't come with fishing rights".

Annoyingly, all my persuasive arguments deployed with so much passion and conviction up to that very point had really worked and my wife was reaching for the cheque book. Back tracking was going to be nigh on impossible, plus I am a principled person and value integrity in everything I do. So instead, I looked at my phone and said "oh my god, I've been sacked. No job, no money. I am so sorry..."

Howard, you crack me up!

Howard, were you looking to rent? If you were buying the property how can anyone deny you the fishing rights? If you are the owner the rights surely go with the land. If not, who retained them and what were the access arrangements, surely they couldn't fish in your garden?

It was to buy Alex. I agree with you though and all that went through my mind. I was told that the boundary for the house ended at the end of the garden and the river belonged to the landowner on the other side, albeit that they couldn't obviously access the river from the garden. I was told that perhaps an arrangement could be entered into with the landowner. To be honest it all sounded like it was all going to be too hard and I also thought about the prospect of having anglers fishing from the opposite bank, so I never explored or investigated it any further.

Its easy to get your own bit of water if you get off your arse and try. 10 years since I set up the HPS syndicate on the Trent, still going strong.

Spot on post. If you want to rent water then you have to get off your arse and start knocking on doors and writing letters. OK, you have to kiss a few frogs before you find a prince, but it is well worth the effort.
All you have to do then is to put together a bunch of like minded anglers to share the cost. This is where your problems will really start................

Steve

As part of the Curgudgeon Estate we have miles of fishing rights on The Upper Pinn plus several fabulous lakes.

All this has been in the family for generations, virtually!

Wonderful stuff!

Regards,

Hugo

This is where your problems will really start- QUOTE
I can imagine Steve ! Otter hunts :( chucking bucket loads of ground bait in :(

Mind you I could always dig a few holes if members stepped out of line :eek:

Paul, only just seen your other post sorry, ........... I tend to keep the detail to myself so safeguarding the fishing. ;)

Simply Google hps syndicate and a plethora of posts are available for your eyes. The better syndicates dont advertise, and offer a bit of deception to whereabouts. try googling kez syndicate? Anything about fishing come up? No, because the first rule is it doesn't exist. Basics.

Howard, were you looking to rent? If you were buying the property how can anyone deny you the fishing rights? If you are the owner the rights surely go with the land. If not, who retained them and what were the access arrangements, surely they couldn't fish in your garden?

Fishing rights are separate to the land, we have fishing (and access) rights on a few gardens.

Back