• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Cheap shelter on Dragon Carp

Cheers Clive. worth a punt. If it's no good I can add it to my ever expanding collection currently standing at 2 bivvys and 4 brollys!

Its cheap for one reason lads;) cos its c*ap, you get what you pay for, you wouldn't go out and spend that on a rod would you:eek:

Can anyone recommend a good shelter please? I would like something that's fairly quick and easy to put up. It would be used for overnighters so I'd need to fit a bed in it. I also like the option of a zip on front for if the weather gets rough!

Can anyone recommend a good shelter please? I would like something that's fairly quick and easy to put up. It would be used for overnighters so I'd need to fit a bed in it. I also like the option of a zip on front for if the weather gets rough!

JRC Contact bivvy will do the job Karl and you can pick one up new for £80

Its cheap for one reason lads;) cos its c*ap, you get what you pay for, you wouldn't go out and spend that on a rod would you:eek:

I bought one and it's cracking for the money. Light, well made, compact. Mightily impressed. Would I spend the original 50-60 asking on it? Nope..but then I'm tight.

One of my favourite rods of all time, a Giant Martin Bowler Signature Barbel rod cost me 25 quid delivered many moons ago. Fuji fittings throughout, great action, perfect small river rod. Never assume something's **** just because it's cheap. There are bargains out there from time to time. Happy to buy them to enable others to spend more if that makes them feel better about their purchases!

;)

I had one of those Giant bowler Ouse barbel rods, brand new £122 14 years ago, Chestnut blank, Built in isotope, Fuji SIC'S and Fuji reel seat so not exactly cheap were they!
Mind you, I'm always on my guard where dragons breath carp are concerned.

Last edited:

I've bought a Shakespeare Mach One avon type rod for around about the £20 mark and my mate bought a Shakespear Mach One 13ft Match rod, both rods are great. Sometimes you really are just paying for the name.

Fox supa compact the best I ever used ;)

You might want to consider avoiding shelters that are based on a brolly/rib system. The reason I say this is because IMO there are just too many joins of panels/seams just where you don't want them - right above you, and it's only a matter of time before a leak occurs, due in part to the constant flexing of this area.

I've 2 Ovals - both leak. We aren't talking fabric saturation leaks, they can easily be cured with Fabsil. No, both 'drip' in heavy rain through the finial. The first oval lasted quite a few years of heavy use the second only 12 mths & 1 day

An overwrap clearly rectifies this issue but for the shorter session angler it's not the way to go.

Clearly I can't be sure this will happen on systems like the Fox which I've never owned but if I were in the market for a simple shelter style I'd look at something like the Chub S Plus. For a ton it seems reasonable value.

Chub S-Plus Fishing Bivvy - S Plus Bivy Bivvie - Carp Overnight Day Shelter Hut | eBay

Opinions on Chub S Plus Shelter... - Carp Fishing Tackle and Equipment - Carp.com Fishing Forum

Last edited:
Jack: Shakespeare have always had a good reputation for decent quality tackle where as dragon I don't think so;) imo anyway;)

Derek: :p:p:p:p:p:p to you mate, have Moyes back anyway:D:D

David: I haven't even been yet mate, 3wks this friday;) then opening day when I get back:D:D:D Roll on the 16th;)

Anyway everyone to his own I suppose lads;)

Jack: Shakespeare have always had a good reputation for decent quality tackle where as dragon I don't think so;) imo anyway;)

Derek: :p:p:p:p:p:p to you mate, have Moyes back anyway:D:D

David: I haven't even been yet mate, 3wks this friday;) then opening day when I get back:D:D:D Roll on the 16th;)

Anyway everyone to his own I suppose lads;)

Paul never a snob, i hope you still like meat pies and a cup's of bovril in the Stretford end instead of prawn sandwiches in the box's..lol:p:D

Paul never a snob, i hope you still like meat pies and a cup's of bovril in the Stretford end instead of prawn sandwiches in the box's..lol:p:D

Too right Mr Hall, forget the Bovril though, I hate the stuff:eek: mines a pint of cr*p lager:D and usually in the score board end;)

And Mr Funcks, I've been called some thin gs in my time but never a snob:eek::eek:

Last edited:
I wouldn't push it Paul....he may have misspelled it and added an 's' by mistake. :p:D:D

I am in complete agreement on the Dragon stuff Paul. Obviously in every pile of dross, there is going to be the odd diamond. To those who pick out those rare diamonds, it's all been worth it. Trouble is, 99.9% of us have to wade through loads of cr* p that needs to be binned to get to them. The 'great value' quoted is then highly dubious, to say the least.

Cheers, Dave

Back