• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

split cane

Peter Harding

need a rod builder in cane used andy sliwa but done his arm/shoulder so jusy making his own one at present so any recommedations emails /phone num

Pete - I've just received a new cane barbel rod, made by Ryan Burns (he has a web site). Highly recommended and great value for money. Mind's 11 ft, 2 piece with separate handle, and I'm looking forward to christening it tomorrow on the Dove....

Amongst my collection of cane rods are:

A Barbus Maximus II by Edward Barder

A Kennet Perfection by Oliver's

And a Fred J Taylor Roach Rod built by my dear friend Ian Tucker, using cane made by John Chapman.

All rods are used and are worth every penny.

Regards,

Hugo

Blimey Hugo, to have all them, you must have saved some money since you quit the ale ( the wine thread ) ;):D

Yes, that's about the going rate, Derek. Ryan Burns, however, charges less and that's definitely no reflection on the quality...... :)

And Hugo's collection is enough to turn one green with envy. Giving up the ale is a step too far though.... :D

Amongst my collection of cane rods are:

A Barbus Maximus II by Edward Barder

A Kennet Perfection by Oliver's

And a Fred J Taylor Roach Rod built by my dear friend Ian Tucker, using cane made by John Chapman.

All rods are used and are worth every penny.

Regards,

Hugo

That's the problem with cane, aint it, Hugo. It's addictive. Perhaps it should be called Split Cocane.

Since I started fishing with and restoring cane I seem to have acquired an amount of rods that is completely disproportionate with my needs. As it currently stands I have the following:

A.E. Rudge - The Derwent 12 1.2ft (Unrestored)
Allcocks - Record Breaker 10 1/2ft
B. James - MK IV Avon 10 ft (awaiting restoration)
Chapmans - 500 10ft
Chapmans - 550 10ft
Chapmans - Hunter 12ft
Edgar Sealey - Octofloat 11ft
Edgar Sealey - Ocotofloat De-luxe 11ft
Lee & Sons - Aquilla 12ft
2 X Lee & Sons - Hampshire 11ft Whole cane Avocet type (one restored, one beyond restoration)
Modern Arms - Arun 12ft
Milwards - Swimversa 12ft
Precision rods - Tudor Supreme 12ft
3 x Rodrill of London 11 ft (restored to various different spec.)

...most of which I have either restored myself or are awaiting restoration. Only gap in my armory is a proper bona-fide 2pc MK IV Carp. I'm currently on the look out for one but if I'm honest I want something slightly different from the ubiquitous B.James MK IV. Precision Rods Done an absolute beaut. though it's rarer than hen's teeth dipped in Rocking Horse shyte. Youngs did some crackers too but I'd probably have to demean myself in the most degrading way....which I happily would.

There should be a twelve step recovery program set up for us cane heads.

Not that it matters but at some point in the season I will be using one of either Hexagraphs (11' 1.4lb, 12' 1.7;b) and my cane (built in Hull 11' 1.6lb) with pins (aerial, JWY Purist or Okuma Trent).
But when amd if they are appropriate, otherwise Free Spirit and Okuma EPBs

I don't fish any big rivers, Darryl, and the low levels at the moment are perfect for the 'pin. When the monsoons arrive, I'll also get out the carbon and sea spins.... :)

Had my first river session lastnight and my first barbel on the cane! A rod I bought a few years back but have only used once before. It doesn't have any writing on so I don't know what it is but has been nicely restored by someone. I also wasn't sure of the strength of the rod so it was a bit of a suck it and see! Anyway the rod handled beautifully and will definitely be coming with me when I go next. Just for the record I used a marco cortesse pin £30 new, great for dropping in the mud and sand and worked a treat.

Karl - seems to be an excellent combination. There's something about getting a (fish-related) bend in a cane rod, coupled with a 'pin. Not everyone's cup of tea, admittedly, but when a few barbel have been banked over a few seasons, tinkering with one's set up whether that be tackle or baits seems like a natural progression to me. :)

That's the problem with cane, aint it, Hugo. It's addictive. Perhaps it should be called Split Cocane.

Since I started fishing with and restoring cane I seem to have acquired an amount of rods that is completely disproportionate with my needs. As it currently stands I have the following:

A.E. Rudge - The Derwent 12 1.2ft (Unrestored)
Allcocks - Record Breaker 10 1/2ft
B. James - MK IV Avon 10 ft (awaiting restoration)
Chapmans - 500 10ft
Chapmans - 550 10ft
Chapmans - Hunter 12ft
Edgar Sealey - Octofloat 11ft
Edgar Sealey - Ocotofloat De-luxe 11ft
Lee & Sons - Aquilla 12ft
2 X Lee & Sons - Hampshire 11ft Whole cane Avocet type (one restored, one beyond restoration)
Modern Arms - Arun 12ft
Milwards - Swimversa 12ft
Precision rods - Tudor Supreme 12ft
3 x Rodrill of London 11 ft (restored to various different spec.)

...most of which I have either restored myself or are awaiting restoration. Only gap in my armory is a proper bona-fide 2pc MK IV Carp. I'm currently on the look out for one but if I'm honest I want something slightly different from the ubiquitous B.James MK IV. Precision Rods Done an absolute beaut. though it's rarer than hen's teeth dipped in Rocking Horse shyte. Youngs did some crackers too but I'd probably have to demean myself in the most degrading way....which I happily would.

There should be a twelve step recovery program set up for us cane heads.

Good tally of rods there . I am, like you, a hopelessly addicted cane head . I feed the habit by buying , restoring then selling rods on , only to buy more cane rods , hopeless isn't .it .. As others have said there is '' something '' about fishing with cane rods , it's impossible to define , but there nevertheless . I get particular pleasure form restoring rods that were in a very tatty state , and bringing them back to life , I imagine what the long dead original owners would be thinking . . There are pro's and cons with fishing cane rods , a con if you like is that they attract old men on river banks , these men emerge as if from nowhere with a dog in tow , skyline you and then regale you with tales of their first rod . Another con is they can be a little heavy in the hand for prolonged sessions , popeye syndrome can set in on your fishing arm

Back