• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Non-Shimano Reel Thread!

Stephen Bond

I had four Mitchell Avorunner 3500 reels which I was pretty happy with but decided I should try some Shimanos and see what all the fuss was about.

https://barbel.co.uk/site/vbulletin/forum/barbel-talk/8213-shimano-baitrunner-questions.html

Anyhow, the Shimanos are great for what I bought them for, big rivers with big feeders and leads. However, not coming with spare spools and having loaded them with braid I figure the £40 for the spare Shimano spool is actually better spent on a reel. Also, I'd like a pair of smaller reels again, something around 4000 size which can reside on my barbel rods while the 6000Ds stay on the carp rods.

So, I have my eyes on the Mitchell Avorunner V2s but I am sure there are other options? Must be bait runners, smooth clutch, small to medium size (3500-5000) and hopefully have a spare spool. Single or double handle OK (although I've still not tried these new fangled double handles)! Budget is £30-50 each.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Stephen

Some of my fellow anglers tell me that a Speedia is the best baitrunner around. All I know is that they could wake the dead from three swims away!

the new okuma's are not as good as the old ones quality wise. i have had and got old and new interceptors. the new are very poor compared to the old.

have a look shakespears new sigma range :) should be right in your price range too.
i bought a non bait runner for lure fishing with braid as it had a big spool for its size and i was very very impressed

Is there life beyond Shimano and Okuma? Even the Okuma doesn't seem as popular as it once did......Anyone use those ABU baitrunners?

Indeed. I looked at getting the ABU free runners before I got the Mitchells a few years back. They still look an attractive option. Anyone using them?

Anyhow, thanks for the posts. Keep 'em coming!

Stephen

Abu , bit out of my price range

Freespool Reel Baitrunner reel Abu Garcia Cardinal c103i fr feeder reel on e bay for £599

Thats about right Graham, must have good mono with it:)

the new okuma's are not as good as the old ones quality wise. i have had and got old and new interceptors. the new are very poor compared to the old.

have a look shakespears new sigma range :) should be right in your price range too.
i bought a non bait runner for lure fishing with braid as it had a big spool for its size and i was very very impressed

Totally agree about Okuma. Trouble is my Epix Pros are wearing out. I will be giving the Shakey reels a go. Very good spec and value.

Yes those Korums dont look a bad reel, 9 ball bearings and a front drag, anyone using them?

They are a nice price Alan..

Penn liveliners are very popular if you don't want Shimano, don't think they're cheap though!!

Those avorunners look good for the money. Might have to try one for my stalker rod was eyeing up the new shimano baitrunner but much prefer the price of these.

Yes those Korums dont look a bad reel, 9 ball bearings and a front drag, anyone using them?
I have a pair of the Korum reels. On one of them, the baitrunner clutch failed after a couple of years of fairly infrequent use. Forunately I was winding in rather than playing a fish otherwise the fish would have been heading for the sea. I emailed Korum about it but they couldn't be arsed to reply.

Not recommended!

Thanks again for the suggestions guys. Been looking on eBay and it seems there are a good few options. Been looking at bait runners from ABU, Daiwa, Okuma, Mitchell, Wychwood and more. Seems it might take a little longer than I first thought!

If anyone has any hands on experience (good or bad) then lemme know please.

Stephen

Back