• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Suggestion for hooklength

Ray Ellis

Been off the scene for a while now, but am starting out again tomorrow. Will be fishing some rocky swims, mainline is 20lb braid. Looking for a decent line for my hooklengths with decent abrasion resistance.
Suggestions please :)

Welcome back Ray! Everyting I have tried on the Wye means one thing changing the hooklength a lot. The rocks and boulders make it hard going on anything you care to use.

Cheers

Brian

Gardner Trickster Heavy is a very cost effective coated braid Ray:

Barbel Fishing World Online Shop

We're selling quite a lot of this at the moment.

Good luck for tomorrow!

Without meaning to annoy Andy, I've found that the Gardener stuff parts like cotton, perhaps I picked up a dodgey spool as I have heard lots of good reveiws.

Drennan sinkbraid is by far the best stuff I've ever used. If my life somehow depended on choosing the best hooklength for fishing, I'd go with that 100%.

The only flaw to it though is that sometimes the loop on the hair frays, and sadly it's not indestructable. This season I landed a barbel that had pulled me through god knows what and when I unhooked it the braid had frayed up the hooklink BUT it held out long enough for me to land the fish and when I tested the hooklink, it was still strong enough to be used again (I didn't want to take any chances so I retyed the hooklink).

It's only about £4 for about 15 meters too.

I wouldn't be using a braided mainline for lead or feeder fishing on a snaggy water , I personally would not touch the drennan sink braid either

My choice would be a tuff mainline like clear big game in 12 lb , use that as a hooklink too or a coated braid

I've used Gardner coated braids and found them decent enough

Trickster heavy is good stuff....Not coated though...

Hi Ray.
I would use gardener gt80 or gr60 in 10lb.

However in my experience its normally the main line that gets done if using sensible hook lengths below 2 ft.

I also use gt80 12lb as main line. Tough as you need.
Good luck pal.

Hi Ray.
I would use gardener gt80 or gr60 in 10lb.

However in my experience its normally the main line that gets done if using sensible hook lengths below 2 ft.

I also use gt80 12lb as main line. Tough as you need.
Good luck pal.

Cheers Graham. I like the sound of that. I have to renew the mainline on both my reels so will find the best price for gt80 and get it sorted :)

Ray, for the umpteenth time, Sunrise Amnesia for flinty or rocky bottoms, you wont break it mate and its cheap,cheap,cheap in tough situations it hasn,t let me down in over 30 years:)

I wouldn't be using a braided mainline for lead or feeder fishing on a snaggy water , I personally would not touch the drennan sink braid either

My choice would be a tuff mainline like clear big game in 12 lb , use that as a hooklink too or a coated braid

I've used Gardner coated braids and found them decent enough

Big Game is seriously strong abrasive resistant line. I fish 12lb main and 10lb bottom most of the time. It takes a battering on the Yorkshire Ouse on those wooden piles and hasn't let me down yet! The drennan sink braid has let me down though(too fine for my liking), and the gardener trikster heavy was on my combi-rig last night when on the nidd. The fish took me round several branches and i managed to land it even though it was slightly frayed. I do think that its best to avoid low diameter lines as it needs to be thick enough when stretched and rubbing on a snag not to break.

Dave

I fish the Wye a lot and have found that a Combi Rig made up of 2-3ft of whichever mono you favour in 12lb BS combined with a couple of inches of your favourite uncoated braid gives the best of both worlds;)

You get the abrasion resistance of the mono combined with the free movement of the braid;)

They don't come any more abrasion resistant that this.

Quick Silver Gold

Not cheap but easily the best coated braid I've tried (out of a good few).

25lb is not OTT IMHO. Plenty supple once you've stripped the last couple of inches above the hook.

Stephen

I fish the Wye a lot and have found that a Combi Rig made up of 2-3ft of whichever mono you favour in 12lb BS combined with a couple of inches of your favourite uncoated braid gives the best of both worlds;)

You get the abrasion resistance of the mono combined with the free movement of the braid;)

The mistake i made to begin with was to make the braid link too long! 2-3 inch is about right for me then most of the damage would be on the thick mono/fluoro, and as you say you get the best of both worlds. I still experiment with a separate braid hair http://www.englandangling.co.uk/displayProduct.asp?prodCode=SM1 of different lengths to achieve that supple movement.

Dave

David, the 'supple bit' in a combi rig/coated braid with the part nearest the hook stripped....is referring to the hinge or 'flexy part' of the hook link, allowing movement of the hook itself...not the bait. Using a braid hair will of course give the bait movement...but it won't achieve the hook movement to aid hooking that you are apparently after.

Cheers, Dave.

Back