• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

3500b sticky baitrunner

Chris Thomson

Hi, ive just bought a vgc shimmy3500b which has a swiss watch clutch but a sticky baitrunner ie when line is pulled off the spool in the baitrunner on mode it is snatchy but soon as the handle is turned and baitrunner is off it becomes super smooth, just wondered if all the 3500b'd did this or just mine, any other users found this?

no issues with mine after years of use , but ive religiously backed both clutches off at the end of every session

maybe give them to felindre to service ?

No probs with mine either,I use mine in fresh and salt water as well,for the last 5 or 6 years, Bass tend to really rip line of the baitrunner, far more than a Barbel, so it really gets a workout, religiously cleaned after every outing..... almost.

Dave

the felt drag washers in the baitrunner mechanism are dry/compressed and need changing or rejuvenating.

when you get it back remember to always back off the baitrunner tension completely when finished fishing.

(else you'll be sending it back to them again next season!)

Are those washers easily accessible and rejuvenated Marty? Or if they are accessible, is it better to purchase new ones and replace them? Assuming you can buy replacements....

Cheers, Dave.

if they've just dried out then they can be rejuvenated, if they have been compressed for a long time (ie baitrunner tension cranked up and left there) then they usually need replacing.

are they easy to replace? in a word (if you are doing it properly) no.
The baitrunner mechanism is a bugger to strip and re-assemble, be very careful if you attempt it yourself! (else you'll be a spring or two short at the very least when you put it back together!)

Back