• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bite alarrms

Ray Ellis

A few weeks ago i bought a bite alarm on a boot sale for £2, it is in perfect working order. Today i have just seen an advert for three used delkim txi alarms for £395 :eek: . Am i missing something here, dont they just make a beep in the same way as my £2 one :confused:

Yes Ray, you are definitely missing something, i mean, does it have the right ring tone ? does it have an adjustable volume and sensitivity control ? is the little flashing light the right colour, blue being the most expensive i believe, and of course, its got to have a separate control box, so you can adjust everything in your bivvie whilst your playing with your iphone waiting for a bite. If it hasn,t got all these extras, then its just not worth bothering going fishing. :D You might as well just sell it to me for 3 quid. :p

Very good Derek :D Although a bit of an old schooler when it comes to fishing gear , I have invested in a bite alarm , made by well known cheap skates Leeda , cost £7 but does have a blue light so I reckon it's something of a bargain , even has it's own little zip up pouch when not in use . Nice , although disappointingly it's not in Realtree camo

The only trouble with those with no volume adjust is everybody for miles hears it. V anoyable. Delks are the only one that use vibration too. The others need to move a roller. Delks are much better on the biggers rivers as they can alarm at every twitch if set that way
I use alarms when fishing 2 rods. But rarely when single rodding.

Before I retired one of my alarms (they were not cheap) was playing up, I took it to work and ask the instrument technicians to repair it if possible, they did repair it but also said the parts in it could be purchased for around £1.50, must have been an expensive plastic box the parts were in.

It's all about bank credibility. Looking cool and in with the crowd is what it's all about. If I were to walk past you with a two quid bite alarm on top of the rod rest, I wouldn't give you the time of day. Get some delkims or Nash sirens and I'll be happy to say hello ;-)

It's all about bank credibility. Looking cool and in with the crowd is what it's all about. If I were to walk past you with a two quid bite alarm on top of the rod rest, I wouldn't give you the time of day. Get some delkims or Nash sirens and I'll be happy to say hello ;-)

So it is just the cool look then, as i thought, it's crazy.
I will have to be uncool which i am sure is the new cool and you will have to walk by me then Stephen :)

BTW It does have lights and adjustable tone and volume so it cant be all bad :)

I have owned Delks and Fox Digitals,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and they have gone, sold, like you say as long as it makes a noise and has an led then it does the job,,,,,, amazes me why anyone would ever need vibration sensing when most rigs are bolt rigs and fish do exactly that,,,,,,,,,,bolt, hardly a twitch bite !!
Never fished it but do the barbel not bolt in the Trent? and before I get knocked for saying that,,,,, it is a serious question.

I have owned Delks and Fox Digitals,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and they have gone, sold, like you say as long as it makes a noise and has an led then it does the job,,,,,, amazes me why anyone would ever need vibration sensing when most rigs are bolt rigs and fish do exactly that,,,,,,,,,,bolt, hardly a twitch bite !!
Never fished it but do the barbel not bolt in the Trent? and before I get knocked for saying that,,,,, it is a serious question.

They certainly do.

ray, my delins have seen lots of underwater due to me kicking em in out of temper, also they work by vibration and not a turning wheel which can let you down sometimes mate, my last lot done me proud for over 28 years before i replaced em with the latest type:)

Back