• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

BFW fly fishing day? anyone interested?

Graham Elliott

Senior Member & Supporter
Anyone interested in joining up and having a Fly fishing day together at Farmoor Oxford?

Im sure tackle and tuition can be arranged for any novices who want a go.

Graham

I'd be up for this Graham if I'm not already booked for something else on the day.

Always fancied having a go on Farmoor.

Hello Graham
I'm interested couldn't make last year hopefully this time I won't be on holiday

Date Open for discussion.

Can be weekend date as lots of water and I guess thats Favourable for all.

How about 11/12 April or 18/19th Aprl.

Paul, any of those good for you as you are the supreme mentor.

Graham

The later date would be best, but I need to check with my other half first before I confirm. I'm not going to mention anything this evening though I've just spent the late afternoon into evening at Farmoor today. They are feeding on roach fry currently, but hopefully come April will be close in on buzzers. Plenty of big pike about too.

Could someone please list what type of rod length/weight,floating or sinking line we might need,plus fly types please.So that i can see what i have and make sure i am prepared.thanks in advance

Mark
Young Paul is the one to ask but I will use (subject to Pauls advice !)

10ft rod 7 weight all lines if possible (depends if they taking surface)

Flys
Little almost bare hook red cheek blob on black things
Damsel
Cats whiskers
Appetiser
Blobs

Last resort Boobies (moving) But I have loads so don't worry happy to share and lots in the shop.

Waiting on you Paul re Date. Brave enough yet?

Graham

Mark
Young Paul is the one to ask but I will use (subject to Pauls advice !)

10ft rod 7 weight all lines if possible (depends if they taking surface)

Flys
Little almost bare hook red cheek blob on black things
Damsel
Cats whiskers
Appetiser
Blobs

Last resort Boobies (moving) But I have loads so don't worry happy to share and lots in the shop.

Waiting on you Paul re Date. Brave enough yet?

Graham

Nope :eek: Judging by the atmosphere tomorrow will be better.

Mark, as Graham said.

7/8 weight 9/10ft rod will be fine.
Weighted forward Intermediate and Floating line will cover most options.
6/7lb spool of leader. F.Carbon I prefer.
There will be plenty of flies to go around. Hopefully the trout will be feeding on buzzers, but we cannot guarantee that. A few gold-head patterns and some skinny patterns in size 10,12 & 14. To add to Graham's list; Hare Ears, Dawl Bach, super glue buzzer, cruncher etc.

Graham,

Saturday 18th April is the only full day I can do for the dates given. If not good for everyone possibly the 19th.

Unfortunately I will be at Wembley that day, watching Reading administer a sound thrashing to Arsenal in the FA Cup semi-final.

At least that's what I dreamt last night.

Back