• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tench Spawning?

Dave Taylor

I've noticed the tench in my pond have been doing the business for the past three days, anyone noticed tench spawning on a proper water this week?
Tried taking a couple of short videos on the phone, but they always seem to get a bit shy when the camera's rolling. :rolleyes:

I've noticed the tench in my pond have been doing the business for the past three days, anyone noticed tench spawning on a proper water this week?
Tried taking a couple of short videos on the phone, but they always seem to get a bit shy when the camera's rolling. :rolleyes:

Serves you right, you voyeur :D

Feel quite guilty now Dave. :D
My first post was a bit of a non event really as I had intended to upload a couple of short videos of spawning tench, but realised that I had uploaded my entire library using ' copy link' from my iPad which I hurriedly deleted ! :eek:
Can't find a way of just uploading single videos, ... photos are no problem.

Absolutely ANYTHING to do with technology makes my nose bleed Dave. I just don't understand where it all went wrong. I recall sweating while trying to work out how those newfangled ball point pen thingies worked, thought I had one up on everyone when I mastered that....then my grandaughter asked for a tablet, because her school was going paperless. She is still sniggering now over the paracetamol I offered, so no doubt there is some new fancy drug out that has made that outdated. Terrible state of affairs mate, too fast for old codgers like me to keep up :D

Cheers, Dave.

While you've got kids around to help you out with technology then you're sorted Dave. My daughter can produce a new spreadsheet in 10 mins that would take me 10 hours going round in circles.

No luck with the videos, but took a few stills with the phone this afternoon, ..nothing Hugh Miles would be proud of mind you !

dave-taylor-albums-dropbox-picture5470-2015-07-03-14-28-03.jpg

dave-taylor-albums-dropbox-picture5469-2015-07-03-14-22-35.jpg

dave-taylor-albums-dropbox-picture5468-image.jpg

a very nice pond, just thinking same myself, mines too deep for ornamental lilys so i have been told approx 5-6ft deep,

The pond is 4 feet deep John, I didn't go any deeper cos I hit the water table.
You would be able to grow some of the vigorous white lilies in deeper water but they would eventually take over and would be difficult to control without draining the pond down. I planted mine in really big crates and they did well, too well really , so I had to pump out 13000 gals of water and get in with waders to saw off the masses of tubers that had spread out across the floor of the pond a few years back. Lily beetle have been a problem and spoil the leaves.
Because I had a separate koi pond I resisted the temptation to introduce carp into the pond , and left it as a tench and golden Rudd puddle, which has worked really well, with both species breeding well every year , ... which keeps the herons and kingfishers happy!

ATB Dave

Hi Dave, our pond only has 3 carp in it, 1 mirror carp over 40 years old and about 26-27lbs, 1 ghostie same age about 22-23lbs and a tiddler ghostie around 5-6 lb, good thing is the pond is surrounded on 3 sides with bushes and a few trees a bridge which gives em some respite from the weather or predators and the sides have chains to hold the plant baskets in water which again provide lots of bankside cover and a nice waterslide/fall on middle bank.
i think the pond was made deeper about 20 years back maybe to support the carp growth in size, i just love sitting under the tree watching their antics:)
2 resident woodys playing in evenings, mad resident blackbirds in the bushes t back of pond and my westies favourite squirrel what always teases her and leaves 2 baby apples by the doors for her regulary, funny as hell, the dog goes for a pee about 6.0am every day, then goes to pond, barks and growls, the ghostie surfaces splashes the dog with water with her tail :eek: then dissapears with the dog growling like mad :D:D

Sounds a lovely pond John, people should never underestimate the amount of pleasure a pond can give, and also the diverse wildlife that it can attract.
Because I'm in the process of moving I had to re home my old koi friends of many years, and break the pond down, as many do not regard water features as a desirable feature with kids etc. Makes you wonder how we ever survived!
There was no way I was going to fill in the tench pond, but I fear the new owners may consider doing so, which will be a crying shame.
The new prospective home is on the banks of the Stour - with fishing rights -so that will be some consolation for giving up the pond.
There is a medium size pond in the new garden, but being so close to the river otters and mink will fill their boots I reckon !

wire it upwards and over the top that,ll stop em, mind you a really powerful charged air rifle will too;) your garden so who cares about rules and regs.
i started looking for a new place with a river at bottom of garden but thought at last moment HOLD ON john boy, wot happens if yer get fed up fishing the smallish end of garden:eek: move again:eek::eek: so i settled for a really nice garden with low maintenance and a nice pond to sit by and relax watching the fish antics and the wildlife, the woodys are the size of chickens:) but blackbirds are the real nutters, totally immersed looking after their own territory and stand up to anything, dogs,cats, squirrels and other birds lol, the rivers and lakes are nearby so my fishings ok, have a good time in the new house Dave:)

my pnd maintenance man came roundn tuesday and gave us some goldfish or orfe about 4" long, looked for em all day today, moved the drop baskets but not a glimpse, reckon our 2 big girls had a nice meal:(

Don't give up on them yet John, it's amazing how fish can tuck themselves away, especially when they've been confronted with some intimidating new pond mates.
That said, I remember seeing one of my koi swimming round with just the rear legs of a big frog protruding from its mouth!

I remember spotting a good sized chub laying up under a tiny bit of marginal weed on the Throop and thought I would try my luck with a bit of freelined cheese.
Sure enough, the greedy bugger couldn't resist and quickly took the bait, ...what surprised me was the resulting commotion when at least ten other decent chub bolted out from under that little bit of cover. Even if the bank was slightly undercut I would never imagined that so many fish could be tucked into such a tight space. Yet another step on that old learning curve.:)

Last edited:
spot on Dave, 5 or 6 of the littluns suddenly emerged from under the plant growth to investigate the taste/smell of the tiny halibut pellets i introduced for reaction from the bigguns its gonna be very interesting now, they bunched up over the tiny pellets and within 15 mins were feeding avidly on them,
man are they going to have some changes in their diet :D:D:D but aint going to overdo it just enough to see reactions ect

My ornamental fish are at it again this morning, warmest day for a while yesterday so they have obviously decided that it is spring. :rolleyes:

Woke up this morning to hear all the splashing convinced that there was a heron at the pond, thankfully not.

Back