• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Feeder Gum

Mick Brown

I'm thinking of incorporating a piece of Feeder Gum into a feeder rig for Chubbing. Do any of you use it? and if so, what knot do you use to join it to nylon line? Thanks for any help.

Mick, are you trying to use it on the hooklength,and for what reason would you be using it for.Its a difficult question to answer until we understand exactly its use. I think you could get plenty of tangles,its a very limp matrerial.But its always a nice thing to work out something totally different to the norm that works.

Thanks for your reply Mark.

My aim is to use it in a bolt rig set up behind the feeder. The idea is to try to stop getting smashed up on fine hook links when maggot fishing for weary Chub.

Mick, i used to fish the Dorset stour every winter but always used the float and lots of maggots but.Some friends fished for those very big chub using a feeder, 4lb spiderwire braid hooklength from a swivel through the bottom center of the feeder and plastic pop up maggots on a 16 forged.they were very successful and the fish were big.They never struck, just lifted into the fish.The braid is very thin 0.10mm but allowed them to be played with slightly heavier hands. if you wanted to use powergum the only way i could see it being used would be inside the feeder between two swivels but then you would have a rig that was not completly safe,like the method feeders with the 20 elastic inside.Hope this helps.

Cannot beat the float for those Chub,gallon of maggots,spray with the catty cast hookbait into the cloud, run through and repeat.The float will beat the feeder every time and its so much more enjoyable.Wishing you luck.

I've used powergum on a helicopter rig when maggot fishing for big roach in has proved quite successful - v.similar set up to the one described here: Lumbland: The Rig

The powergum cushions the hooklink to such a degree that big fish can be landed on very light hooklinks, I know Mick Dinnigan has landed 30lb + accidental carp using a very similar set up.

I'm not sure how effective it would be for chub though, personally I prefer to use 3-5ft of fluorocarbon behind the feeder and I'd be worried that the powergum would stand out a bit, and I certainly wouldn't use short-hook link for chub helicopter style. But it's always worth experimenting with these things.

Having been shown by Stef how to fish for Throop chub using a 2-3 inch, 3lb mono hooklength coming off the bottom of an inline maggot feeder, I soon learnt that on no account should you ever strike and that backwinding is essential!

Back