• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Linear Fisheries

Richard Booty

Senior Member & Supporter
I am thinking about taking a trip to Linear after the Tench. Has anybody had any experiences positive or negative? I'd probably arrive the night before and camp, before getting up at first light to see if I can spot them rolling. Manor Farm or St John's would appear to be the lakes to target but I know little more than that....!

Obviously just after general hints and nothing too specific - detailed swim diagrams and rigs can be sent via PM ;);)

I have looked into those lakes and I have heard its one person moves out another moves in. All the best swims are ear marked and reserved. I hope its different as it sounds like it would produce a Tench to be proud of. Can anyone who fishes it dispel the rumours I have heard?

Cheers

Brian

I have 2 friends who are actually down there fishing now. ( Monday to Friday ). I,ll let you know on Sat how they got on.

Well Brian and Lee - you've managed to make being at work seem appealing!

I don't mind a bit of company but queuing for swims is not my thing. I've heard that you need to be savvy about the weed but hopefully it won't be too bad yet.

Derek - would be keen to hear how your friends get on!

I spoke to someone who went there for the first time last year. Casually looked at a couple of swims. Settled on one. Chucked a method feeder out with a cut down boilie and fake corn. Went to cast out a second rod, but already had a take on the first. 10 minutes later a 9lb 12oz Tench was in the net. Since then he has repeatedly fished there and has yet to have another take!

It gets very busy they post up which swims are free on the face book page - I discounted it when I heard people camping out waiting for swims to become available.

I would check to make sure you can get one before making the journey.

If you go to you tube there are some videos of Martin Bowler and the Korda guys fishing

Richard

Try Horseshoe. Day ticket but nowhere near as busy as Linear.

Tench to into double figures and plenty of them.

Stunning place to fish too.

Graham

Used to fish Smiths and Hardwick on the opposite side of the road,but always used to have a look at St johns and Manor and always found them rammed with almost every swim taken.I dismissed it for tench for that reason ( i'm not a long stay trapper).I thought turning up and seeing tench rolling in front of areas that were already taken,having to fish in swims that were left was not my idea of fun, and too much of a gamble.

Richard,I have fished linear twice in the last 2 weeks and not had so much as a sucked maggot.Dont believe the facebook site on swim availability,its grossly inaccurate,hardly a swim left on a Monday morning.Yesterday morning had a carp angler set up his base camp directly behind my swim when he found out I was only day fishing.Carp looked well catchable boshing out all day,but alas no tench activity.......yet!

Don't know what you're talking about Graham - it'll be great. We could camp in the car park, drink Stella while admiring the carp anglers' tattoo's before moving into a swim and then chucking out three rods. All we have to do then is wait for a week before winching in a PB. Get in!! *fist pump*

Joking aside, I'm probably still going to give it a go. People I've met have said good things about Linear. Horseshoe also does also sound good.

Joking aside, I'm probably still going to give it a go. People I've met have said good things about Linear. Horseshoe also does also sound good.

Linear does get busy but I've not seen it with every swim taken yet. Depends when you go, obviously half terms, holidays etc get busier, but midweeks usually OK to get a swim. Been twice this year, nothing yet and not seen a tench roll.

Do you still need to be in the Carp Society to fish Horseshoe?

Well Brian and Lee - you've managed to make being at work seem appealing!

I don't mind a bit of company but queuing for swims is not my thing. I've heard that you need to be savvy about the weed but hopefully it won't be too bad yet.

Derek - would be keen to hear how your friends get on!

Hi Richard, they had planned on fishing Monday to Friday. I spoke to them on the phone last night ( tue ). In 2 days. they have had 1 fish between them. ( a 20lb carp ). They never seen another fish caught. They have decided to call it a day, returning home Wednesday instead. The reason. Apparently, they who control the waters, have put some sort of dye into the water, to try and kill off some of the weed. ( And also put the fish off feeding ). They are not best pleased, having not been told this before making the journey down from Liverpool. Hope this helps a bit.

Blue Derek? That'll be Everton then?

I had a very long reply from the Fisheries Manager at Linford.

He said it doesiget very busy and because of the weed not many swims that a float could be used.

He did say there are always a few swims free somewhere. Don't think it'll suit me.

Richard. You bring the TV and microwave I'll bring the Stella.

Derek - thanks! Doesn't look promising.

Graham - I've checked. There's no wi-fi so that's it. I'm not going.

Horseshoe sounds interesting though...!

Back