• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Monster Carp (series)

John, thanks for that. I watched it on catchup. It's going to be one of those Marmite programmes: you either love or hate Ali Hamidi and his antics. To be honest, I thought it was fun to watch and had more variety in it than I was expecting. I feel that those wanting to learn about how to fish for carp may have been disappointed but it would certainly have been inspirational to anyone thinking of trying it.

How easy it will be to maintain a following remains to be seen, but I suspect there's an innovative creative director behind all of this...or perhaps Ali himself is the driving force? Either way, it's a bit like the Grand Tour on speed! :)

How easy it will be to maintain a following remains to be seen

This is the second series. The first series got pretty decent viewing figures (in relative terms given that it's a niche sports show on ITV4), so it already has a built-in audience.

They certainly can't be criticised for presenting a bad view of fishing - their respect for the fish is obvious and commendable - but Ali and his mates' Essex Boyz Bantz grates, and the show is nearly half over before they even make their first casts.

It's an acquired taste - those brought up on the more genial and sedate Go Fishing, A Passion For Angling and John Bailey's programs are best off not bothering with it. Matt Hayes fans, on the other hand, will probs love it.

Steve, as I'm retired (just) I fit in the Passion category. One observation on the current scene is that if you save up, you can fish all the waters that Ali and his mates are visiting (correct me if I'm wrong here). The same couldn't be said for those venues of yesteryear, where Yates and James were given access to syndicates, private lakes and estate stretches of rivers that were out of bounds to all but the few.

Back