Barbel Fishing World

Go Back   Barbel Fishing World Forums > Message Boards > Other Species Fishing

Notices

Old 06-01-2010, 20:40

Mark

Have a look here http://fishingweightmolds.com/shop.php?viewcategory=123 it is quality stuff and makes the job easy, especially if you use the pre-painted plastic float antennas, you can make some really big wagglers

Best Regards
Dave

Last edited by Dave Wingfield; 06-01-2010 at 20:52.
Old 06-01-2010, 20:42
Tom Herbert

Thanks for the Steven.............. they are superb floats mate.
Old 06-01-2010, 23:04
Banned

Default r

Tom

Before you go the mini-megabucks mini-lathe and workshop route, consider using an old, multispeed electric drill laid across your tea-towelled knee... I've made (and continue to make) many hundreds of very nice floats this way. Seems almost in keeping, somehow - well, a slightly mechanized update on the traditional knife, razorblade and glasspaper - with the rambles along the hedgerows that I make from this time onwards in a proper, old-fashioned British winter, in search of top-quality elder pith (which is to be found in a winter like this one). Years-worth collected in a few rambles, once you know the spots.
Old 07-01-2010, 00:54

Thanks for all the info so far much appreciated .
Old 07-01-2010, 15:18

Quote:
Have a look here http://fishingweightmolds.com/shop.php?viewcategory=123 it is quality stuff and makes the job easy, especially if you use the pre-painted plastic float antennas, you can make some really big wagglers
Dave, I`m not one for knocking shops or sites on the `net but will have to make an exception here.

The service from Fishing Weight Moulds is nothing short of diabolical.

Ok, stuff goes out of stock, thats one of those things, but when you give to the ok to `wait a fortnight` for it then it never arrives and emails are ignored as much as the phone seems to be then sorry, I really must warn folks not to use the site.

I`ve been ripped off by them and they don`t give a damn

[B][I]By three methods we may learn the wisdom to catch barbel: First, by reflection, which is noblest; second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.- (Apologies to Confucius!)[/I][/B]
Old 07-01-2010, 23:06

That's that then
Old 08-01-2010, 12:35

So i will forget that then it looks like its back to the tip then
Old 09-01-2010, 23:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gaskell View Post
So i will forget that then it looks like its back to the tip then
Mark dont give in so easily float making is greatly satifying, there is floats you can make without hardly any machinery or special equipment, all you need is some champagne corks and some cane skewers with a drill.
I wrote an article for another site with step by step guides, if you roughly follow it and submit a drill instead of a lathe then you can still achieve good results:
http://traditionalfloats.webs.com/fl...20creation.htm

Last edited by George Lockhart; 09-01-2010 at 23:35.
Old 09-01-2010, 23:32
Banned

Well said, George (rather as I was saying earlier). Going all (over) complicated and fully tooled-up can come later.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:56

using a drill is easy you can either mount your raw material onto a mandrel after drilling a pilot hole through the body (size of drill to make hole = mandrels dia (2.5-3mm) ,i use a BBQ skewer or old knitting needle ) then lock the madrel inthe jaws or mount your balsa directly in the drills chuck work one half the turn the body around and work the other end

then finish off by hand

i did find it easier too mount a flexable extention too my drill and clamp this in a vice (saved having to hold the drill and gave me more room .

i do still make some floats by hand by wittling ,filling and sanding ,sometimes you just have too get your hands in there after all floatmaking is a very tactile hoby.some times you have too feel the inner float in the blank peice of wood etc and set it free .one of my favourite things is too experiment and see what body shapes are hiden waiting too be discovered ,i don't always know what shape of body i'll end up with when i start.

i don't have any fancy tools as i use or adapt whats too hand ,old screwdivers ,chisels or old wallpaper scrapers

all ground on a cheap grinder wheel that fits in the drill ,or my grinder/sander machine i got from aldi's for 20

having a lathe all be it a micro one just makes some jobs easier and more convieniant for me plus its a fair bit quieter than me old drill (as my work shed is in me attik [My USA] so need too keep the noise down a bit ) but not really necessary .
[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Steven Devereux; 10-01-2010 at 02:06.