• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Roach

Jeremy Evans

Off for a day after the roach in the morning, hoping for a 3lb+ but realistically any over 1.08 will be a nice fish to me.

Well that was an interesting day. A bit blowly to say the least, watched a nash proflie brolly get blown inside out lol. Wanted to fish the slider but the wind made presenting a float almost impossible and getting maggots out totally impossible. Went on the feeder and had a few roach best about 1.08 loads of perch which weren't a problem last year but today were a real pain. Also had a little carp some monster gudgeon and a rogue rainbow trout, got bust by something that felt very large which was probably a moggie. Will be back but will be going in on bread and casters to try and slow the Perch down.

Jez

You're back early, Jez. Where possible, I always try to fish into dark when I'm after roach. Might not make as much difference where you were fishing though?

Sounds like you had a good day though, especially considering the conditions.

Stu

Have to be off the water by 4.00pm unless night fishing which is a shame. If i were younger i would consider doing a night on there for them but i'm getting soft in my old age.

Neil, will bell you later once i've had me tea.

Beautiful fish Vincent - well done. :)

Come on then Mike, put you on the spot, which would you rather slip your net under next time you are out - a 5oz Gudgeon or a 3lb Roach?!

Ordered myself a copy of this out-soon title today

Big Roach

By: Mark Wintle

prod_bigroach_book.jpg

Format: Hardback

Price: £30.00

This book has been years in the making. A lifelong big roach fanatic, he has thoroughly researched the anglers, waters and catches that have made roach fishing history. From records to hybrids, baits to tackle, and advanced techniques to outstanding catches, it’s all covered in detail in this well-illustrated new book.

The stories of the waters include the Hampshire Avon, Dorset Stour, Frome, Hornsea Mere, the London reservoirs and Linch Hill, together with the exploits of Bill Penney, Captain Parker, Dick Walker, Frank Guttfield, Peter Butler, John Bailey, John Wilson, Alan Wilson, Owen Wentworth, Terry Lampard and Dave Howes, amongst others, including those of the author.

So sit back and enjoy the rare treat of a celebration of big roach fishing.

http://www.calmproductions.com/acatalog/bigroach.html#aROACH

Wintle is a fella who knows his roach and his float-fishing. Look forward to reading his book.

I sat today on my local stretch watching and feeding half a dozen decent roach of which 2 x look over 2lb probably in amongst 150 other small fish . And it made me wonder why do I have this stupid barbel rod in my hand!:( Note to self light match rod Thursday). They are truly impressive beasts.

I'm going to a stretch tomorrow that holds some real beasties. It's incredible to watch a shoal of fish where most look to be over 2lbs and with a couple pushing 3lb! Now catching them, well that's another matter entirely. :)

Beautiful fish Vincent - well done. :)

Come on then Mike, put you on the spot, which would you rather slip your net under next time you are out - a 5oz Gudgeon or a 3lb Roach?!

5oz Gudgeon any day Andrew , they truly are my favourite fish . 1lb+ dace would be next in line ...

Last edited:
Back