Barbel Fishing World

Go Back   Barbel Fishing World Forums > Message Boards > Other Species Fishing

Notices

Old 14-12-2009, 13:59

Default Zander

Loving my Zander fishing at the moment.

Slightly frustrated that I haven't been able to get my boat out on the rivers for a few weeks, but hopefully over X-mass the conditions will be better and I'll manage a few trips out.

Steve
Old 21-12-2009, 08:57

Slow session on Saturday.
Spent a few hours trolling, with me dropping two fish and my boat partner having juts one dip of the float.

Anchored up and managed two zeds on float ledgered dead Roach, plus a couple of dropped runs from, I suspect small zeds.

Cold, but nice to be out...........

Steve
Old 21-12-2009, 09:57

I had intended to do some Zander fishing on the Trent this week but currently snowed in - its the one (mainstream) UK fish I have yet to catch. I guess my Pike gear and approach - float or running lead with smaller baits and size 10 trebles - is OK for this this?
Old 21-12-2009, 10:05

Steve

This is one species that i wont to try and catch, could you reccomend a BAA stretch of the W.Avon or Severn that would offer me the best chance. Iv done a fair bit of piking on the W.Avon but never had a Z, should i alter my fishing for the zed's? smaller baits,hooks etc..

Thanks

Mark
Old 21-12-2009, 10:24

Found this site: http://www.zanderfishing.co.uk/
Old 21-12-2009, 10:47

This is worth looking at too lads.

http://www.zanderanglersclub.co.uk/

Basically, similar set-ups to Pike, just scale everything down.
Saying that, remember that you could also have a 20lb Pike pick up your bait......

If I'm deadbaiting, I mainly use Roach deads.
I remove the head to help with leak off of sent.

I like to use very slim floats so they offer minimal resistance.
If your bank fishing, upstreaming is good because when the fish picks up the bait everything gets dislodged and drops down stream offering less resistance.

We do suffer from a number of dropped runs, which are from small Zander.
Not much you can do, either drop the bait size down and catch it, so sit it out on a bigger bait and hope a better fish comes along.

Steve
Old 21-12-2009, 11:33

Last few trips have seen the majority of the fish I've had fall to small livebaits - 3-4oz roach.. deadbaits I use are of a similar size but they are fished slightly popped up with plenty of puncture holes in them to let the 'juices' flow..

Like above poster, least resistance free rigs possible. Have had a dabble with single circle hooks too.. quite effective so far.

Never seen them so active as the last trip I did, all evening and into night they were constantly well up in the water hammering the shoals of bait fish in the marina. Had a few last trip out and had a 3lb zander ripped off the trebles by a big pike and 6lb met the same fate in the same session.

One thing with them though.. have you ever noticed just how strong they smell compared to pike and perch.. really strong odours!

www.theprintbiz.com
Old 21-12-2009, 16:42

Steve, re dropped by small fish. I wonder after Keiths chat it would be worthwhile trying to hit the runs / pickups immediatly?

As you know, never caught any so probably worthless comment, he did make me think though?

Keith seemed to be hitting the fish as they came in to disable the bait first?

Graham
Old 21-12-2009, 21:52

Steve,

I always found the VB or drennan double hooks in a 10 or 8, better at hooking up the zeds, as the free hook protrudes at a more aggressive angle than the two free hooks on a treble. Just my preference over the years, especially on the w.avon. Defintely worth trying.

Paul
Old 11-01-2010, 14:19

Hi Chaps

When you are jigging often the gentlest takes are from the biggest fish, I remember chatting about dropped runs to my Dutch friends, they were of the opinion that instant strike rigs were the way to go!

While fishing dead bait I always use an instant strike rig, I don't let them run at all.

In my opinion you should forget everything about fishing for Pike when you are after Zander, Zander are a predator, and that is just about the only similarity, they are as different to fish for as say, Carp are to Pike, you can catch both on the same rig by accident, but it is an accident!

One of my bigger UK Pike was 27lb 10oz, hooked in the scissors on a home made boilie meant for Carp, I normally would not fish for Pike with my Carp gear, and I don't fish for Zander with my Pike gear either;- Rods, Reels, the rigs, floats, lures are all different, the only method that crosses the divide between the two species is The Fireball and we use that with gear capable of catching very large Zander or Pike!

To fish for Zander you need a deft touch and you need to be on them instantly, we have gotten too used to sitting back, brain in neutral and letting buzzers tell us what is going on, with Zander it is more like touch ledgering, to be successful you need to be switched on and fishing, not sitting back and waiting!

Tight Lines