Barbel Fishing World

Go Back   Barbel Fishing World Forums > Message Boards > Other Species Fishing

Notices

Old 14-12-2009, 16:17
Super Moderator

Default Perch

Hi men ,

Nice to have this one as a thread , as I know there are a fair few targeting them . The Ouse around my area is more busy with people after them . I have had a plan to have a dabble after them , only fishing for them when conditions are such that Sue dont want to go , and I can do a short ( normally 3 hours ) afternoon session.

Started off ok , narrowed down a section that would help me by parking close to the water , and get a couple of swims in before going home . This worked fine , first trip out , a couple of 2lb + fish in a short 2 hour bash , best fish 2lb 13 oz. Second trip , turnned up to find that someone had hacked down the 3 large snaggy tree/ fish holding area . A large aluminum punt showed that they ment buiness , so I will have to find a new bit .

This is another one of 2lb 9oz . The nice cover over my shoulder , gone !!!

Hatter
Old 14-12-2009, 17:59

Aye - one of my favourite winter species - and I've had a blinding autumn after the stripeys - had numerous 3's and broke my PB twice - its now tantalisingly close to the magic 4lb mark. Had a super bag of 2lbers from the Kennet yesterday - 7 in little over an hour from one swim - biggest a smidgeon under 3lb!

C.
Old 14-12-2009, 18:05
Super Moderator

Hi men ,

Nice one Chris , good catch . Iv had a break from perch fishing from around 1975-76 . A local lake I fished had a good head of nice fish , and I gave them some stick , catching loads without weighing them , not knowing that they would disapear within a season . I moved on , but with the Ouse closeish to me , I should have at least the odd session.

Hatter
Old 14-12-2009, 18:17

My latest. I have found about 3 fish that will be well over the 4lb mark in a few weeks.
Old 19-12-2009, 12:26

Hi all,

Here's my 3lb 2oz pb from 2 winters ago caught whilst spinning a sprat for pike.
Twas a cold cold morn on the W avon.

I must get my pred head on again soon and loose my whiskers head
ian
Old 20-12-2009, 08:48

Hi all,

I dont consider myself a perch angler by a long stretch, but i would like to bank some better fish this season/winter if i can. They seem to tolerate cold water quite well, but do the better fish prefer certain conditions. IE low light levels of morning and evening, clear rivers or will they feed in coloured water. Caught a few on lures last season, but was wondering if the red maggot/worm works better at certain times/temps. Just trying to get a better understanding.

Paul
Old 20-12-2009, 14:20

Paul, the obvious shout is of course AM and PM, though I prefer the latter.
I would shy away from maggots too in fear of over doing it.
Perch will of course feed in the current conditions but a lot of folk lose heart as a big stripey will sit watching the worm in this instance for hours before deciding to take it.
If where you are fishing is like the Kennet then you can count on a 'perchy looking spot' to hold a fish or two thus making it pretty safe to sit it out.
Now to boost attraction, get hold of some worm blood juice or some other ammino flavouring and soak a sponge in it and place it in a feeder if fishing on the tip.
If float fishing then soak some dark g/bait with the juice, or, if molehills are present ball some of that in.....just watch the dog dooda.
Old 20-12-2009, 16:59

Thanks Will,

Some good tree cover where i'm planning to do some perch fishing and ive seen plenty of fry topping in summer and the odd perch chasing them. Its quite a deep stretch of river too and fish seem to like it there in winter. Will definitely try the worm blood. Suppose chucking a few worms in a food blender would also do the trick. When she's out of the house that is.

cheers

Paul
Old 20-12-2009, 17:07

Hi chaps,
I will start at the beginning of Feb for the billies. No monsters last year but a few 3's hit the net. A couple below from the past couple of years

I think they are my 2nd fav species after tench

Ian
Old 20-12-2009, 17:25

That 4.1 is a gorgeous brute.

www.christurnbull-artist.co.uk