• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Carp in the Yorkshire Ouse system?

Chris Jones

Many moons ago I saw a carp caught from the Swale at Topcliffe at around 12lb or so. Heard mutterings over the summer that another had been caught at around the 15lb mark. Anyone seen, heard, or even better, caught a carp from the Ouse rivers (Ure, Swale etc)?

Chris,

I've heard from several different sources of carp in the Ouse and it's tributaries, in both the tidal and non-tidal sections. I vaguely remember seeing Mick Wood with one (possibly 17lb?) in Angler's Mail from the Wharfe years, and possibly one bigger than that turning up in a match in the tidal section of the same river. Have heard of big ones getting stranded in fields after a flood, mid-20s coming from way down on the tidal Ouse and have caught one myself (a carp, not a mid-20!) from one of the non-tidal stretches I fish, though it was only about 6lbs.

I think it would be safe to say that carp are likely to be present in most rivers?

Matt

Defintely carp in the Wharfe, my best is an 8lb common. I understand a local club stocked them some time. Biggest I know of for sure is a 22lb. Rumours of a 33lb from the tidal wharfe.
Carp have been spotted in the Ouse as well.

Defintely catfish in the ouse as well.

I fish the none tidal Ouse extensively and have never caught a carp , this said I have never set out exclusively to catch one . If there was a significant head of carp you would expect them to fall to barbel tactics . I have seen a photo of a 23lb common carp caught by design in the none tidal Ouse .I spoke at some length to the angler concerned , this was/is a genuine fish . I think that at best there is only a very small population and the aformentioned Ouse carper held a similar view . The tidal Ouse does have carp and in greater numbers .Catfish in the Ouse ? Definetly but again very few in number . Salmon and Sea trout ? a A lot more than you would think . Burbot ? I am still working on it .....

Last edited:
Anything is possible , unlikely I grant you , but possible . My main tactic is persistence , blind faith and a secret paste . You will find more tips for burbot fishing on Hugo Curgudgeons Pinn thread on the old BFW , have a look if the site is still open for viewing . Now that chap knows his burbot and all things burboty

Someone told me they had a carp in a match at red house a few years ago on the ouse. The only carp i have actually seen have been on the Derwent at Stamford Bridge just below the wear where the stream ran to the old mill. 1 was a Common carp 10lb+, and the other a mirror the same size. I remember doing a double take as i had never seen carp in a river before.
I work with a chap who has caught a carp from the river foss in york, and spoke to other anglers who have caught carp or spotted fish in the foss through York.
I remember catching a tench on the ouse on the leeman road stretch 20 years ago on the top 3 of my pole with no4 elastic (that was fun):eek:

I have hooked and/or captured Carp in most of the main Yorkshire Barbel Rivers (ie Derwent, Hull, Nidd, Ouse, Ure). Not the Swale but I know of the odd capture. There used to a very beautiful high double Ghost Carp in one stretch of the Derwent. Sadly the Otters had it about two seasons back.

If you are after Burbot try the tidal and good luck to you!

Back