• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tench 2014 season.

Graham Elliott

Senior Member & Supporter
Well 4 hours into my second tinca session.

The previous 8 hours without a touch.

Reservoir seems lifeless and up about 3 feet without the usual weed growth.

Its also a peat colour when normally clear, possibly due the floods.

Normally I would expect to see the odd sign of fish at least the odd carp movement.

Had a few casts for the pike without any follows. Unusual.

Hoped there might be a chance after a few warm SW winds and before temp drop forecast.

Give it another few hours then back mid April.

Well 4 hours into my second tinca session.

The previous 8 hours without a touch.

Reservoir seems lifeless and up about 3 feet without the usual weed growth.

Its also a peat colour when normally clear, possibly due the floods.

Normally I would expect to see the odd sign of fish at least the odd carp movement.

Had a few casts for the pike without any follows. Unusual.

Hoped there might be a chance after a few warm SW winds and before temp drop forecast.

Give it another few hours then back mid April.

"Reservoir"?? Not your usual pit then Graham?

Just about to finish 2nd 8 hour session without a tinca bite.........

No signs of fish moving or feeding apart from a carp that took 60 yards and shed the hook.

They are usually mid 30' so disappointing..

nearly time now

will start this week ,looking for a big un ,where you went this week stu,there in there into double figures;),and some big billys!

im gonna wait til the lake hits 12c before I cast a line, its been a good break since the river closed but looking fwd to a yorkshire tench...

Last year, during the closed , a young lad who lives round the corner from me, fishing for tench, had an unbelievable monster of an eel from a local public park lake. He never weighed it, he had no scales, but any specimen hunter would have considered it the catch of a lifetime. He has a picture of it on his phone, i,ll try and get him to send it to me and put it up. He may be a lucky angler, or just a very good one, a friend and i, took him to the Severn just before the season closed, and he was the only one to catch a barbel, ( under my instruction :rolleyes: ). You won,t believe the size of it. If i had to guess, i would estimate, at between 4 and 5 lbs. The young man,s name. Andy Tsang.

Andy, has sent me the pics of the eel via facebook to my iphone, can anybody please advise how i get them from my phone, to here. Thank you. :) sorted.

Last edited:
Just a thought.
Many people are expecting a good spring for tench fishing after the mild winter, but I had stroll round a gravel pit at the weekend and most people were struggling for a bite.
One chap was unhooking a small twiggy branch and there were quite a few bloodworm on it.
Lots of naturals to feed on? :(

Hi Dave.

Some of the shallower lakes are fishing ok. Mine is also very much deeper and its always v slow till May.

It always livens up once the mayfly hatch happens.

Despite the milder winter very few nymph hatching so far.

No signs of any feeding yet either.

As you say. Bit early but worried they will spawn v early and maybe twice.

Sorted a bit of gear out to go in the boot of my cab. Gonna have a first go for them during next week, let you know how i get on. :)

I'm holding back for another 3 weeks until the temps rise on my 60 acre pit, then I'll be chasing them until the end of July. There have been one or two out so far which is encouraging but I'm happy to focus on the sprinkling of carp for now.

A hot May I was reading yesterday...?

Ian

Had my first tench session last Friday, fished from about 7am to 2 pm, managed eight, best being around the 4lb guestimated mark. Good sport on a float rod and pin, all caught using lobworm size 12 and a piece of postmans red elastic band to hold the bait in place. Back on Wednesday hoping to get among some of the more sizeable inhabitants.

Back