• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Commercials

Mark Thompson

Senior Member & Supporter
Friend of mine invited me to fish his commercial 6acre lake over Easter as a guest which was nice.Lovely clean well kept lake ,50 yards wide but quite long with all the conveniences offered these days.Met the baliffe ,really nice fella.Good start methinks.

Settled down to fish 2 rod lengths out.Only one or two others fishing.
A couple of middle aged "geezers" were nearly opposite but as my friend had explained the unwrittened rule of not fishing beyond halfway if others were about I was not bothered.
I put some bait in about two rod lengths out and settled down to fish.

After about an hour one of the herberts opposite does a windmill impression at the bequest of one of his bite alarms ,thus interupting a very important phone call he was making as I could hear every word he had said up till then.
"F###### bream" we all heard as he winched a fish in.
"No its a f* in barbel" all were shortly enlighten.
In the landing net ,straight out the water,unhooked and slid straight back in,,,after a kiss of course.
Fish of about 5lb I guess.

I was in for another treat as he then recast nearly 40yards diagonally across me !
His mongo mate , whos phone battery had prob overheated from use decided after taking a stroll around, to wind in and recast,,right into the area I was fishing !!
Worse was to come as the barbel expert then launched an attack on me by sending a exorcet with a large lead and pva bag within two meters of the bank and 3 or 4 meters to my side where I was fishing !!!
As a guest I felt best not to create, trusting that baliffe will "av a word":cool:

Anyway they obviously felt they had emptied their swim ( and the surrounding ones,ha ) and soon decided to move .
Announcing their arrival in the new swim ,within 5 minutes we were treated to a real commotion as one of the morons then promptly hooked a duck amidst a barrage of the mandatory swearing .
Happy days.

Went back a few days later had the place to myself , had a pleasant session trying for one of the huge roach.Did not get one but worth pursuing.
First time for me on a stillwater commercial for 10 years at least,,,,,roll on the 16th.

Ditto the above....tried 1 this close season for a Perch or two - wont be back anytime soon!!

Not quite a commercial but a pretty 40 peg club lake for me that I hadn't fished for about three years. I was first to arrive so set up in a swim that looked right. An hour or so later a couple of older chaps arrived and stood behind me muttering and swearing without addressing me directly. I said "good morning" to them but only received a muttered response. It became obvious that I was in 'their' peg when one set up about 20 feet to my right and the other about 40 feet to my left. The day was one of them shouting conversations to each other and listening to their numerous phone calls. That'll teach me eh? Funnily enough when one of them went home the other turned out to be a smashing bloke. Won't be back there for a while though.

Last edited:
I was fishing a local one last late spring, i was fishing in a corner peg, there was a small swim next to me, no more than 12 ft, so very close, The thing is, it's a winter swim as it has a great big bulrush bush in front of it and out of bounds during the summer time as no way you could ever land any fish in a safe way, didn't stop some Numpty moving in,casting over top and dragging the fish through it, nice one..not, Numpty!

bulrush.jpg

:eek::(:confused:

And what about the rules, my god, No this, that..ETC.

Last edited:
Back