• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Shimano Twin Power 4000 FA

Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Introduction

When I had a look at this reel and my initial impressions were good. I have a number of reels but had been impressed more and more with front drag versions. Double handles, well personally love them, some people do not, this little baby doesn't appear to offer that facility as yet as the handle fits into the reel rather differently than most other Shimano offerings.

tpfa.jpg

Shimano Twin Power 4000 FA and Spare Spool​

Description

Finished in natural aluminium, grey and with a tinge of gold colour to the lip of the cold forged aluminium spool it's a good looking reel. The handle, although at first looks a bit oversize, has a large soft touch knob and gives the impression of having plenty of cranking power. An initial spin tells you that this is one smooth reel - helped no doubt by the numerous (8) ball bearings, plus a roller. This new model has a slow oscillation spool gearing which gives very good line lay and the bail arm shuts with a satisfying 'thunk'. The hybrid aluminium and XT7 graphite body sports a maintenance port, which is used to lubricate the innards without the need for dismantling. The front adjusting drag is silky smooth and has fine click adjustment. I found the front drag button a bit shallow, but that is probably just me.
This reel weighs in at 395g, has a gear ratio of 5.7:1 and line capacity of around 200 yds of 10lb monofilament. As a confirmed braid (Power Pro) user, this would equate to 280 yds of 20lb Power Pro - although the need for this single loading of braid is not necessary for most (if not all) barbel fishing situations. Supplied with a 'full feature' spare spool.

Conclusions

Time will tell in the long term aspects of using this reel, but it appears and feels robust. I liked the inclusion of the lubricating port, the overall smoothness of the reel and the chunky but elegant handle. This one will probably go on and on and so it should - at the high asking price. Check back for an updated review for long term results.

Price

A recommended retail of around £220 it's expensive, but ringing around will probably produce a more realistic (but still expensive) price of between £150 to £160.

Other sizes in the range, 1000, 2500, 4000 (the model reviewed here), 5000 and 6000 attract different prices, but range from £190 to £270 (recommended retail) or approximately £133 to £189 on the 'haggle' phone.

Bob Gill
February 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back