Barbel Fishing World

Go Back   Barbel Fishing World Forums > Message Boards > Barbel Talk

Notices

Old 15-11-2017, 07:40

Default And I thought wellies were just wellies....

So it's getting near Christmas and my other half has asked me for a few pointers. I've never had a decent pair of wellies, having just used good walking boots previously, but now I think I'd like to get a pair.

Knowing nothing, but with the faint recollection that Muckboots seem to be well received, I decided to take a look at their website. Chuffin bloody Nora! Four sodding pages of the damned things: Colt Ryders, Edgewaters, Muckmasters; low, mid and Hi, if you please , Arctic Outposts, Wetlands, Woody Maxes, blahdy, blahdy, blah.

I know a few of you on here have Muckboots so I was looking for a recomendation and which of the above would be a best choice? To be used mainly for fishing, semi static, and also for a bit of short distance walking along the river etc.
Old 15-11-2017, 09:39

I use a pair of Barbour Neoprene lined wellies..very comfortable, good for walking and fairly warm, not for sub-zero tho, & not the cheapest! but much better than the Hunter boots they replaced.
Have a look at the John Norris website for some decent bargains....

Andy
Old 15-11-2017, 09:59

I have a pair of Woody Max Muck boots and they are lovely and warm worn with a good pair of socks. If you are going to be walking a lot in them I really like the Le Chameau boots, they are pricey but last for ages.
Old 15-11-2017, 10:39

This is all quite subjective but I shall be interested to read the replies. I have an as yet unused pair of Muck Masters. A mate wears a pair and last week said his feet were just about ok in cold conditions which I would say were probably an air temperature of 1 or 2C.

I was out in similar conditions earlier that week in walking boots, static fishing and my feet were very cold. A matchman was reminding me in the good old days he used to take a piece of carpet with him to put under his feet for winter leagues. Does/did anyone ever do that?
Old 15-11-2017, 10:43

The danger of recommending a product that we as individuals own is obvious. I guess we would have to field test most brands before having a best buy, buu I can say that my Arctic Muckboots tick all the boxes for me. They were on offer as a huge discount a few months back and put up on here, a few BFW members snapped them up.

They feel like a real boot, not a welly, comfy to wear have very good grip, I can testify with the steep walk I have to endure on my local River. Of course keep feet warm and not too overbearing on warmer days.
Old 15-11-2017, 12:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Green View Post
I have a pair of Woody Max Muck boots and they are lovely and warm worn with a good pair of socks. If you are going to be walking a lot in them I really like the Le Chameau boots, they are pricey but last for ages.
I purchased a pair of Le Chameau Vizornords and they lasted over well over 10 years and they get a lot of hammer at work. Brilliant wellies, warm, comfortable and durable - I didnít think twice about replacing them with the same despite the cost as they had proved v.good value for money. Really disappointed with the new ones, both buckles constantly fall off, they donít fit as well (despite being same model and size) and they are wearing much quicker. Wonít be buying Le Chameau again - they seem to have gone the same way as Brasher.
Old 15-11-2017, 12:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Stoker View Post
This is all quite subjective but I shall be interested to read the replies. I have an as yet unused pair of Muck Masters. A mate wears a pair and last week said his feet were just about ok in cold conditions which I would say were probably an air temperature of 1 or 2C.

I was out in similar conditions earlier that week in walking boots, static fishing and my feet were very cold. A matchman was reminding me in the good old days he used to take a piece of carpet with him to put under his feet for winter leagues. Does/did anyone ever do that?
I rest my feet on my unhooking mat in really cold weather - it seems to work.
Old 15-11-2017, 13:52

That's a neat idea Joe. Sad to read the comment about Brasher. My partner and I swear by their boots. Ours are over 15 years old supremely comfortable and still doing the business.

Incidentally I bought the Muckboots to replace a pair of standard Barbour wellies bought about 25 years ago. They are IMO good to walk in as they grip your ankle but after that inordinate period of time the rubber granulated and cracked on the outer sides where they flex above the ankle so they are no longer water proof over a couple of inches. They hardly owe me anything though and they do not keep feet warm for static fishing
Old 15-11-2017, 13:58

Muckboot arctic sports are the ones to get. I've always suffered from cold feet in the winter but not since I got a pair. Don't even need extra socks.
Coming up 3 years now and no obvious wear. Used at least twice a week.
Old 15-11-2017, 14:54

Speaking of warm waterproof footwear I've had a pair of these since July.
http://m.gooutdoors.co.uk/cotswold-m...-shoes-p419537
Very waterproof and unbelievably warm. Why they're so warm I don't know, probably some super wicking lining..
Not felt the need for the Muckboots yet.