Barbel Fishing World

Go Back   Barbel Fishing World Forums > Message Boards > Barbel Talk

Notices

Old 11-09-2017, 07:51

As an experiment when fishing a rocky swim a couple of weeks ago I used some 10lb home made wire traces as hooklengths, when the fish were up for it they weren't bothered and I didn't lose one.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Walker View Post
said this so many times now, for rocky and flinty bottoms try amnesia, the stuff is oblivious to shary edges ect even the zebra mussels at harefield couldn,t cut through it
I've just been looking at the Amnesia John and it's a much more economic option to using Kryston! In your experience what breaking strain do you recommend. I'm immediately attracted to the 20lb in clear ( for The Wye)??

Regards

Bill
Old 11-09-2017, 08:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Walford View Post
I've just been looking at the Amnesia John and it's a much more economic option to using Kryston! In your experience what breaking strain do you recommend. I'm immediately attracted to the 20lb in clear ( for The Wye)??

Regards

Bill
I would be interested in the response to this too as well as knowing if this would be incorporated into a combi-rig allowing a softer material to be used at the sharp end.

I fish a swim on the Wye which is a bit of a nightmare. It requires a long cast to reach the fish and the best way of avoiding a cut off is to hook a fish and get them up in the water quickly. Otherwise on retrieving the feeder for a recast there would be a 50:50 chance of a cut off. Upstraming isn't possible but I have found that with patience and consistent feeding, I can coax the barbel across the river to a spot far closer to me and critically, away from the would-be rig liberator. This certainly works in evening sessions into dusk when perhaps the fish are more minded to move anyway. I'm not sure this will always work where fish are more stubborn and invite you to give it your best shot.

If barbel had any sort of entrepreneurial spirit they could make a small fortune selling used feeders and rig bits. Although I recognise I'm overlooking the fact that their fins would be next to useless when it comes to using a keyboard to list stuff on eBay.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:03
Administrator

Often used an Amnesia leader when I fished the Wye many moons ago. As regards to feeders, used to use the thin walled ones that deformed when pulling for a break - at least you got something back.
For plain weights, plasticine (you could add other weight material to this - stones, bits of metal etc) to make it more dense) and use a paperclip to fix to the line. I reckoned that having a weight that would deform would often help to free from wedged between boulders and stones. There were other tricks that were utilised by sea fishermen fishing rough ground eg inner tube filled with sand.
Mono is far more abrasion resistant than braid.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Cooke View Post
I would be interested in the response to this too as well as knowing if this would be incorporated into a combi-rig allowing a softer material to be used at the sharp end.

I fish a swim on the Wye which is a bit of a nightmare. It requires a long cast to reach the fish and the best way of avoiding a cut off is to hook a fish and get them up in the water quickly. Otherwise on retrieving the feeder for a recast there would be a 50:50 chance of a cut off. Upstraming isn't possible but I have found that with patience and consistent feeding, I can coax the barbel across the river to a spot far closer to me and critically, away from the would-be rig liberator. This certainly works in evening sessions into dusk when perhaps the fish are more minded to move anyway. I'm not sure this will always work where fish are more stubborn and invite you to give it your best shot.

If barbel had any sort of entrepreneurial spirit they could make a small fortune selling used feeders and rig bits. Although I recognise I'm overlooking the fact that their fins would be next to useless when it comes to using a keyboard to list stuff on eBay.
As Howard and others have suggested coaxing them away from the snag seems to be the best option for both angler and fish . As for Barbel typing skills , with 4 barbules touch typing is a doddle for them
Old 12-09-2017, 16:06

when carp fishing over mussel beds ect i always used the origional 20lb. black versionas mainline its a really greasy feel line ultra smooth and fish dont really spook if brushing against it as they will without doubt see it beforehand a lot of guys used to use it as a combi link with works well as it wont tangle with barbel fishing in sharp flinty& rocky bottoms i still use 20lb b/s if its just flinty type bottom then i used 15lb b/s i have found this stuff absolutely bomb proof over the past 40 odd years it was origionally the inner core of some fly lines back then.
ps its really fish friendly line that 99% of time wont cut into a fish or its fins
Old 12-09-2017, 20:51

Many thanks for the guidance John much appreciated