Barbel Fishing World

Go Back   Barbel Fishing World Forums > Message Boards > Other Species Fishing

Notices

Old 10-02-2017, 22:40

Default River pike

Hi all just after some advice iv pike fished still waters for a few years but am pretty new to river piking! What would be considered good conditions is my main question! Iv had some good success latley but am struggling to get through to the better fish im sure are their is their any way to target the better fish? Thanks stu
Old 10-02-2017, 23:37

Hi Stuart.
Your question is a bit difficult to answer in a paragraph or two, and it can depend on the type of river you're fishing. By that I mean big, small fast or slow, drain, dyke or if it has a separate flood channel etc.
I prefer high pressure but have caught at other times. Reasonable water clarity is best even when dead baiting, as river pike often hole up tight under the bank in turbid conditions just gathering lice.
The key is a mobile approach, unless you know of a good area and are willing to sit it out waiting for that quick winter feeding spell.
When the weed has died back I personally prefer to rove with one rod and float ledger a dead bait sometimes covering a couple of miles on some venues.
After a while you get to know the hotspots and where the bigger fish move to when river conditions change and preferred spawning areas.
If the big fish get hit to hard they often move. If my first fish from a swim is a jack, I often move as well !
I'd best stop now as I'm sure yer eyes are starting to glaze over
Old 11-02-2017, 09:50

High pressure for me too. I prefer near bank slacks when the river is carrying a bit of water as this is where the prey fish are likely to be too. When conditions are lower then I aim for areas where the prey fish are known to shoal up over winter, marinas, bridges, sidestreams etc.
Old 13-02-2017, 15:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Ireland View Post
Hi all just after some advice iv pike fished still waters for a few years but am pretty new to river piking! What would be considered good conditions is my main question! Iv had some good success latley but am struggling to get through to the better fish im sure are their is their any way to target the better fish? Thanks stu
Fining down after a flood for me, still a bit of colour left.
Old 27-02-2017, 10:18

Stuart

As Dave says, numerous factors rather than just weather, and adopting a roving approach is indeed essential.

I will say that in my experience the only weather that really seems to put them off is very strong wind - I don't think I've EVER caught a pike from anywhere with any tactic when a gale has been blowing - but no doubt others' mileage has varied.

Given your location and other forum posts, I'm assuming we're talking the Bristol Avon? Whilst there are plenty of pike in there, and all the way through, much like the drains on the Somerset levels "better" fish are very few and far between - a low 20 from the BA (and the levels) is a rare and exceptional fish, whilst in many other parts of the country it wouldn't be too far off the average. And fish of 25-30lb are almost unheard of - I think I'm right in saying that the current BA record of 33lb, caught in the 90s, is the only 30+ fish that has come out (or at least reported) of there for the best part of 20 years. So I would also say, just so you're not disappointed, that lowering your expecations may also be a requirement.

There have long been discussions in pike fishing circles for decades as to why the pike around here don't seem to grow to the same size as many other similar river and drain systems around the country, but no one has come up with a definitive answer. Most of us have just shrugged our shoulders and accepted it whilst we wait to win the Chew Valley Lake ticket lottery...