Barbel Fishing World

Go Back   Barbel Fishing World Forums > Message Boards > Barbel Talk

Notices

Old 09-10-2017, 01:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Walker View Post
Joe, answer 1, is yes much easier to tie and get through the hookeye if stripped,
2nd is in darksness the fish are following a scent or flavour trail and are not very likely to spot the line in darkness mate.
Agreed. Just make sure there are no carrots in your loose feed.....
Old 09-10-2017, 09:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fletcher View Post
My original question was ..... Will stripping the coating back make any difference when tying the hook ? People have suggested the bait acts more natural if the coating is stripped back a couple of inches when tying the hook ?

Assuming some one is fishing at night in darkness . Would a Barbel be able to see what looks natural and what not looks natural in the dark ?
....it's a matter of not feeling stripped back braid Joe, not seeing it. I don't think any line can be seen in the depths, at night, by a barbel ...but stripped back braid would feel more natural (weed-like?) than say mono, fluoro, or coated braid. IMHO

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice (Scooter )
Old 09-10-2017, 09:43
Super Moderator

Hi men,

Striping back a bit will help the hook move around / drop into the lips of the fish . Someone once wrote "barbel have anti-eject mouths " , i think that true , its the way they feed .

Best coated braid iv found by miles is the Gardner Ultra , lovely stuff , good colours . A couple of years ago in france i was using it reversed with the stiffer coating exiting the hook and the softer section nearer the lead . This allowed the rig to settle nice around the choddy pads i was fishing too , but the hook swivelled and turned into the carps mouth , worked .

Hatter
Old 10-10-2017, 03:50

For me, and to answer Joe's question; the inner core of coated braid is particularly soft and supple and the general idea is not that it makes the bait behave more naturally but that a barbel will feel less resistance with an initial contact with the bait.

Tying a hook with unstripped coated braid isn't recommended as the coating wears off easily and the knot may become lose. That in itself might make very little difference, but why take a chance?
Old 10-10-2017, 08:11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Parsons View Post

Tying a hook with unstripped coated braid isn't recommended as the coating wears off easily and the knot may become lose. That in itself might make very little difference, but why take a chance?
We each do what we do, there are no rights or wrongs!

I've used coated braid for about 10 years (or more probably), Sufix Chameleon. I only fish for barbel these days.

I never strip the coating back, preferring the stiffness to remain, and tie knots with coating intact (except after completion I strip the coating just from the hair). I've never had a knot come loose, either at the hook (knotless knot) or the swivel (twice through the eye, 5 turn grinner).

But never say never, I'll be doubly careful tonight Richard
Old 11-10-2017, 18:31

Ditto everything Paul has said, except i don't strip my hair ( cos i haven't got much ) i use Suffix coated braids too, never experienced any kind of problem.
Old 12-10-2017, 20:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Whiteing View Post
We each do what we do, there are no rights or wrongs!

I've used coated braid for about 10 years (or more probably), Sufix Chameleon. I only fish for barbel these days.

I never strip the coating back, preferring the stiffness to remain, and tie knots with coating intact (except after completion I strip the coating just from the hair). I've never had a knot come loose, either at the hook (knotless knot) or the swivel (twice through the eye, 5 turn grinner).

But never say never, I'll be doubly careful tonight Richard
Well I stand corrected, and happily so.

Yes, I use Sufix also, as well as Kryston - whichever comes to hand.