• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

11th Annual Ousemeisters Barbel challenge

Hi Mike,
I will be away on holiday whilst you are undertaking the challenge.
I hope everyone has a great time, and I will try to be free next year.
Please could you provide a report on how the event went, I am sure I will not be the only interested party.
Tight lines to you all.
Mike T.

Hello Folks . Confirmation of those attending the ultimate angling challenge plus meal at base camp later .

Myself, Robin Bowes,Ken Jones ,Leon Dodd ,Peter Mellor,Gavin Hoe Richardson,David Maddison,Rob Weldon, Mark Dyer and Mike Lowrence . If I have missed anyone out let me know a.s.a.p. Anyone else who wants to come along let me know a.s.a.p. no later than the 21/9/2016 please.Please arrive by 12 noon , we will start fishing at 1pm and cease at 7pm , eating at 8pm at the Black Horse Tollerton, which is only 5 minutes drive away .

The meeting place is the grass verge [ there is a sign saying parking ] which is on back Lane Newton on Ouse sat nav YO30 2BN . Please do not park anywhere else in the village ,it is part of the clubs lease agreement that we park here and nowhere else .It is approx 5 mins walk to the fishery entrance . If you have restricted mobility and need to park at the fishery itself this can be arranged but only in advance , if you have to drive to the waters edge it is only accessible by 4x4 vehicle or pack mule . Entry cost for the day is £6 which is the price of the day ticket plus a £1 booking fee . Any other questions let me know . If you have to cancel at the last minute you can ring or text me on 07858757354

Anyone seen the river this morning? Just wondering how it's looking, been a while since I last fished the Ouse. Cheers, Leon

The tension is palpable as we enter the last 20 mins of the contest. No reports of barbel yet but a tommy has been captured. Official report to follow after the pub...

Well despite being extremely low and showing her bones we did manage to catch some Barbel from old Mother Ouse , two to be precise . The worthy winner and Ousemeister for 2016 is Dave Maddison who caught a 7lb 7oz fish . This having worked a full shift before starting to fish ,and getting in the drink to net his fish , true northern grit , well done Dave . Worthy runner up was Mark Dyer with a nice little barbel of 4lb 13 oz . Ken Jones caught an ultra rare Tommy Ruffe [ on the cane and bob float ] and lifted the Tommy Ruffe shield , first time it had been won in 5 long years . Hard lines to Gavin who lost a good barbel early on in the day . Nice to see a few cane rods sprouting from the rod rests , unfortunately the barbel that were caught succumbed to carbon . A great day all round , good craic and a nice meal in the Black Horse afterwards . Thanks to Newton A.C. for allowing to use the stretch . The best looking gudgeon prize wasn't won largely because I lost the prize , this will roll over to next year....

Thoroughly enjoyable day, thanks for organising once again Mike. Great to meet a good bunch of like-minded anglers. :)

When I received a call from Dave telling me that he was down to his underwear, was going in after a snagged barbel and could I give him a hand I thought he was joking! I'll save Dave's blushes by not posting the photographic evidence but suffice to say he's got a 'postie tan'! :D

Good on Dave for an inspirational change of bait, I did similar and only caught perch!

Thoroughly enjoyable day, thanks for organising once again Mike. Great to meet a good bunch of like-minded anglers. :)

When I received a call from Dave telling me that he was down to his underwear, was going in after a snagged barbel and could I give him a hand I thought he was joking! I'll save Dave's blushes by not posting the photographic evidence but suffice to say he's got a 'postie tan'! :D

Good on Dave for an inspirational change of bait, I did similar and only caught perch!

:D Cheers Gavin. I didn't expect to free that barbel so soon. Luck was on my side in a very tricky situation there!! Proper Frank Spencer moment that I won't forget in a hurry! :eek:

Dave

I'd like to add my thanks to Mike for organising the day and the rest of the Ousemeisters for making it a thoroughly enjoyable event as allways, Congratulations to Dave on his barbel, i've seen the pictures I think you could be mr January in the next years calendar.
Already looking forward to next time.
Regards Mark Dyer

I'd also like to say many thanks to Mike for organising this, the 11th Annual Ousemeisters Barbel Challenge.

Looking forward to next year already..

R.

Only just seen this thread. Count me in next year. I am enjoying returning to Yorkshire rivers after time away on the Trent and Dove. I am planning on spending a fair bit of time on the Ouse

Just looked in the Gallery and it appears that David's winning fish came from the Great Ouse , was that above or below Bedford ? :D

Wrong year too, 2017. Perhaps it was post-victory celebration beer or a confident prediction of a trophy double!

Back