• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

About bloody time.

Richard Barrett

Several of you will know I've been trying to catch a float fished Trent barbel. Several have offered kind advice, and today it all came good after 6 blank trips.

I fished a 9' deep swim with a speci waggler recommend by Jon Frisby. Hook was a size 14 Drennan spade 3 maggots.

I arrived at 11.30am dropped 6 large maggot and hemp in about 10 yards downstream. The Trent is amazingly clear, I could see 6' down.

I set up and started fishing. At 3.30 in the rain, I decided to have one last cast, bugger this I thought. The float buried and a big fish gently moved to the middle of the river. The new 15' rod did its stuff, and I landed a 11lb 7oz fish. 40 mins later I had another 8lb, then lost a fish that left a big scale on the hook. Maybe foul hooked?

It's given me new enthusiasam to be honest, so again thanks to all. I can tell you after 50 years sitting behind ledgered rods, this trotting is so much more fun.

Sorry if it's a bit of a story but as you can tell I'm buzzing at the moment. I've caught bigger barbel but none have given me more delight.

Richard.

Congratulations hope it will be buses now for you lol

Nice one Richard, a very inspiring story after one of those days when it felt like I could have fished for a week and not caught

What rod are you using?

Really chuffed for you. It's defo the best method by far. As long as it stays like this it's bag up time.

Very well done Richard. It is far more rewarding catching on the float imo. One of my most memorable sessions I had was on a very low river severn before pellets and boilies really took off. I used several pints of maggots, casters and hemp and caught close in on a light stickfloat.

Again thanks.

I took some photographs, and will try to load them when I get a time. The fish are in wonderful condition at the moment.

I'm back today and may try the same swim again, but it's a popular beat. But I know another swim or two. Your so right Jon, maybe only a handful of swims on a large beat that suit this fishing style.

Richard.

Wonderful story Richard. You were not too proud to ask, and then you put the effort in, so just rewards fella.

I would love to do the same because so many anglers get so much pleasure out of the method that it is obviously greatly rewarding. Float fishing for other species in my younger days was my go to method, but never for barbel as they weren't so widespread in those days. Now the barbel are there, and I love fishing for them. Sadly, sods law dictates that my aged body doesn't like float fishing one little bit.... :D

Mind you, the cost of the pure volume of casters/maggots/hemp required on a regular basis would cripple my bank balance beyond repair, and the same for my marriage. Such is life.

Cheers, Dave.

Great story and well done, i really should give it a go.
What rod would people recommend for that, did you use a pin or a fixed spool reel?

Picture.

Guy's.

I have a silly little blog that is basically a fishing diary. I have posted a picture on it of the bigger fish. Fat little blighter ain't it?

www.mydippingfloat.blogspot.co.uk

I'm unsure what the url is so would have don't it direct, sorry. OAP alert.:eek:

Dave. Agree but yesterday I only used about a pint of maggots and the same hemp. I took 4 pints of each. But once I'd dropper-ed I just feed a dozen of each every few casts. The maggots will last be all week at that rate, so 3 trips.
I don't smoke or drink, I'm an OAP so have very modest means. £8 for maggots and yesterday I brought 13 Kilo of hemp for under £20. That will last me most of the winter I hope? Feeding a little less now the weather is getting colder. I fish 2/3 times a week. You could try hemp and tiny cubes of luncheon meat. A small tin cut up, will last all day about a £1? Worth a try!

I have thought about finely cubed meat Richard, and I know it works to an extent because that was one option Keith Speer suggested to me. However, if you take an option based on budget (which I admit is sensible) then you always have that feeling gnawing away at you that you would be doing far better with the maggot/caster/hemp option. Those baits are the basis of so many epic catches by top guns such as Keith, Steff Horak, Trefor West and Tony Miles. So.....end of confidence. Silly, but true :eek:

But, all that is a bit academic to be honest, because trying to stand for hours holding a rod is no longer an option for me. I merely mentioned the cost as being a valid factor for oldies like thee and me to consider :D

Cheers, Dave.

That's a real confidence boost Richard, not only for you, I have been on the cusp of trying for Barbel on the float too, but old habits. I have got the float gear together, just need to do it now. :)

Back