• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Absolutely madness what people will pay

Richard Isaacs

Senior Member & Supporter
3957F0DB-2B01-498C-A55A-527C69109976.jpeg
Don’t get me wrong they are few and far between especially in mint condition but really.......... £330 with 4 days left to go.
that’s custom Harrison money with posh fittings.
I had the even rarer kevlex extreme version and sold it years ago way too cheap.
cannot believe people are prepared to pay this. They were good but they weren’t fabulous.

A lot of interest in older stuff at the moment especially if unused or vgc. Quality centre pins are 50% up in price over the last 18 months.

My word😳 I have 2 in mint condition and an extra butt section unused...if it wasn’t for having to deal with the countless cretins on eBay I would probably list them. I wonder how much they will be worth in 10 yrs🤔

That is a lot of money all the fox products I have had over the years some haven’t lasted that well and have been poor quality look good but that’s where it ends not ever seen the Kevlar range mind you.

That is a lot of money all the fox products I have had over the years some haven’t lasted that well and have been poor quality look good but that’s where it ends not ever seen the Kevlar range mind you.
In fairness they were good
Nicely finished blanks with a great action, half decent rings but were prone to bending and a quality Fuji seat. Mine was the even rarer version on the maroon kevlex blank and I let it go for a 1/3 of that and thought I’d done well (going back some years now mind)
I picked up a couple of predator rods on the river exact same blank for a fraction of that price but they didn’t have “barbel” written on them so not worth as much 🤦‍♂️
103F284C-4260-4446-8FE5-601F1E053778.jpeg
4CF5BCEF-885C-409F-9012-2C2B4CECB8BC.jpeg
B6D96B37-3BB9-4808-B05A-24F8CDD3F173.jpeg

In fairness they were good
Nicely finished blanks with a great action, half decent rings but were prone to bending and a quality Fuji seat. Mine was the even rarer version on the maroon kevlex blank and I let it go for a 1/3 of that and thought I’d done well (going back some years now mind)
I picked up a couple of predator rods on the river exact same blank for a fraction of that price but they didn’t have “barbel” written on them so not worth as much 🤦‍♂️View attachment 15201View attachment 15202View attachment 15203
Hi Richard, have you had chance to try out the Fox float rod you won in the BFW auction ?
Is it any good ?

You should check out 'old skool' Solar carp gear, you could retire on some of the right bits and pieces 😂 I've got a 90's Solar baiting needle that's probably worth best part of a hundred quid, but I'm not selling it cause it's a great baiting needle and I use it!
If these sell I bet you may be tempted

Attachments

• E37C1585-18C4-4B10-A94C-5F58D1517C82.png
    E37C1585-18C4-4B10-A94C-5F58D1517C82.png
    313.2 KB · Views: 280
Had a 'thing' for Drennan Tench Float rods - Mark 1 and 2 and Super Tench. These could be picked up for around 40 to 50 quid in the early days. Unfortunately things got daft with examples reaching £200. However, you could still pick good examples up occasionally at non
silly money prices. Seen the same thing happen with other rod and reel brands.
Youngs Purist Tench rods went that way as well.

Cheers
Bob

View attachment 15200Don’t get me wrong they are few and far between especially in mint condition but really.......... £330 with 4 days left to go.
that’s custom Harrison money with posh fittings.
I had the even rarer kevlex extreme version and sold it years ago way too cheap.
cannot believe people are prepared to pay this. They were good but they weren’t fabulous.
Last autumn I picked up a Simpson's Of Turnford, Purist 12ft, 2lb TC rod for £50. It's a Harrison also. I got lucky.

I had the original Solar Sod Pod, with all the accessories such as tripost adaptors etc. I couldn’t believe the prices they were all fetching on Ebay. Selling it all wasn’t even a decision.

The money I got from selling it all fully funded a major upgrade including Jag Prolite super compact pod (bought on here I think) which is immeasurably superior in every way, Jag stage stands, Jag promote adjustable buzz bars, a set of JRC radar ds3 alarms and remote. I was glad to see the back of the sod pod - far to heavy and time consuming to set up.

I got close to £50 for a 3” tripost adaptor alone - complete and utter madness. Most of the buyers were German carpers obsessed with old school carp gear, particularly Solar for some bizarre reason. It seems Martin Locke is as big as David Hasslehof in Germany!

One of these in working order is worth £800, I was pretty excited when I discovered this information. Off I went to the garage to sell it, only to find it broke when we moved house... I’m going to sit it on I think, till it’s worth something not operational :D
Mad how “worthless” objects can become so desirable.

Attachments

• DCF3E084-1F39-4E30-844C-B4D3F8E39C4E.jpeg
    DCF3E084-1F39-4E30-844C-B4D3F8E39C4E.jpeg
    141.5 KB · Views: 211
eBay prices for all sorts of fishing gear have gone haywire since March 2020. Some previously valuable second hand gear has seen its value drop, some previously cheap gear has seen its value increase significantly. Trying to second guess what might do what is nigh on impossible.

The Fox Kevlar rods are roughly where they were prior to Covid. I don't recall seeing a clean example go for much less than £250 in many years. The only real difference is that they are coming up for sale less often as time passes. The later Kevlex rods weren't attaining prices quite as high as the Kevlars, but I've not seen one offered for sale for quite some time.

One thing is for sure, unless you are very unlucky, I doubt that there's ever been a better time to sell fishing gear than the last year. How much longer this situation will go on is anyone's guess. Once they get on top of the pandemic and global container shipping gets back to normal would be my guess.

Back