• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Acolyte Ultra Question?

Neil Blood

I already own an Acolyte Plus float rod in 15ft and 11ft.

I’m considering a 13ft Acolyte Ultra, but can anyone confirm if it has enough backbone to deal with Chub to 4.8lb on small rivers, containing the odd snag/ overhanging willow?

Neil
I use a 14ft Ultra on my chalk stream beat. It has coped with Grayling over 2lb, Trout over 5lb and Chub to 5lb.
However other than some weed there are no snags or overhanging trees.
I use an 11ft Ultra on a side stream which has more snags and a lot of trees, hence the shorter rod. A couple of weeks ago I had a Brownie of 8lb 4oz plus chub up to 5lb. It obviously takes a little longer to land larger specimens but it works for me.
I tend to use a 14' Plus if I am on the Hants Avon where the chub are larger and the current stronger and it copes reasonably well. Though unlike other comments made on here I wouldn't use the Plus for Barbel trotting.
I am not sure where you live but just in case you are in the Salisbury area I have a NEW 13' Ultra I am willing to sell.
Mike

The 13ft Ultra will be a bit under-gunned for those chub near snags. It will be very enjoyable to use, but I would use a Plus for Chub. I've had several larger fish on the 13ft Ultra, including a 6lb Sea Trout, but it was hard work and I was never really in control. Use a Plus for Chub.
Pete

Hi Mike, It’s actually the discontinued compact version, which I’m looking at. Cant understand why Drennan discontinued it?

I already own an Acolyte Plus float rod in 15ft and 11ft.

I’m considering a 13ft Acolyte Ultra, but can anyone confirm if it has enough backbone to deal with Chub to 4.8lb on small rivers, containing the odd snag/ overhanging willow?
The chub itself no problem……With a little more care you’ll land bigger fish on that rod but it’s the small snaggy river that could pose you an issue. The rod is only Rated to say 3-4lb main line max I think so you can’t apply too much on the brakes.
I have found that the acolyte range of rods in general are a tad more capable than promoted. I know someone that gives his 15ft plus far more stick than I’d be comfortable doing and it’s still a 3 piece rod ….. for now!

Back