• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

And I thought wellies were just wellies....

All been said before but just a reminder, The best upgrade you will ever make from the cheapest wellie boot to the most expensive baffin boots etc is to wear socks with a high wool content. Don't use synthetic or cotton socks or you will get cold feet. The wool wicks away moisture and even when damp when wearing normal wellies are still warm. I use 1000 mile 3 and 4 season walking socks with a high merino wool content you can wear them for days without them even smelling.

Another vote for Muckboots Arctic Sport never had cold feet since buying them. I just add a pair of high wool content socks (M&S) over my normal ones.

I have a pair of Grubs Snowline 8.7 boots (neoprene wellies really) with a good sole and ideal in freezing conditions but....

Like many boots of this type, their grip is useless on mud-covered steep banks when it's wet.

Secondly, if your feet sweat a lot, your socks will get wet. Forget the special lining wicking the perspiration if, as I do, you have your waterproof overtrousers over the boots. This having been said, your feet (and calves) will still be warm. As the army lads on here have pointed out in other threads, take a spare pare of socks to change into once you are settled in your peg.

Finally, they are not cheap.

I've got these and cannot fault them, also use them for dog-walking and no problems walking 4-5 miles in them as they have vibram soles.Also good if you have 'chunky' calf muscles as the neoprene is very forgiving
even in the depths of winter i get away with 1 pair of decent wool socks, feet always warm
My missus swears by the Le Chameau wellies which aren't cheap but hers are still like new after 8 years and she has done a lot of miles in them.

Interesting enough I put on my Muckboots arctic sports today for the first time this winter. A short walk but I knew I'd probably have to have my feet in the water.
Started the session with my feet in the water but the water came up at least 8" during the session and I clumsily gave myself my first bootee for years, stretching out my feet into the river. The water came up at least to within 2" of my bum and the lower parts of my jacket got soaked.
I didn't realise I'd gone over the top of the boots until I took off the boots and found my trousers were wet. The inside of the boots were BONE DRY. As were my socks.
That wicking stuff is truly miraculous.
Caught an absolutely mint Barbel, on the float, from a river that's been severely Ottered, my first one from there , so chuffed to bits. Also a lovely Perch a decent Chub and a few Roach, before the river came up.

Last edited:
Interesting enough I put on my Muckboots arctic sports today for the first time this winter. A short walk but I knew I'd probably have to have my feet in the water.
Started the session with my feet in the water but the water came up at least 8" during the session and I clumsily gave myself my first bootee for years, stretching out my feet into the river. The water came up at least to within 2" of my bum and the lower parts of my jacket got soaked.
I didn't realise I'd gone over the top of the boots until I took off the boots and found my trousers were wet. The inside of the boots were BONE DRY. As were my socks.
That wicking stuff is truly miraculous.
Caught an absolutely mint Barbel, on the float, from a river that's been severely Ottered, my first one from there , so chuffed to bits. Also a lovely Perch a decent Chub and a few Roach, before the river came up.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hid46mkrncky38z/2017-11-16 14.03.24.jpg?dl=0

Thanks for all the answers, chaps. I think I'll try and get along to a stockist and try a few different ones on.

Back