• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

any decent rivers near gatwick ?

Andrew Elliot

might be working on a big contract on gatwick airport soon working away alot so was just wondering if theres any decent river i could pinch a few hours on round that way

The Upper Medway is not too far Andrew. Royal Tunbridge Wells Club have fishing at Ashurst and Fordcombe...You are welcome to drop me a PM if you want to meet up and take a look.

Not far from me Andrew - nice neck of the woods.:)
You're right on top the River Mole there - if you have a look at the Mole River report Robin & David seem to be fishing that part - just look out for red indians, firemen etc. ;)
Haven't fished that stretch for years - they might be able to help re-tickets/info etc. if you ask on the Mole thread.
I fish various stretches from Dorking, past Cobham, and there's some good fishing to be had, but you'd have to join a club (£70-80ish a season).
Reigate's got some good pubs & restaurants for a good night out as well.

cheers mark trying to find info on furze bottom so i can see how far it is on a map but nothing comes up on googe do you know any villages its near?

Incorrect - No day tickets for dorking. A willing member can get you a Guest Ticket though at a cost (I think £7) frpm Fullers Tackle shop.

I don't think there is any day ticket fishing on the mole any more...

what is the barbel population like im assuming its quite low espcially round horley form what ive researched?what other species are there and in what numbers?

Last edited:
15 mins drive I would guess, I live in Horsham and it takes 20 mins at the right time of day.

There's probably some back roads you can take though from Horley to Dorking or Betchworth - have a nose on Google.

I remember when I was a kid growing up not far away from Horley, the Mole was terribly polluted by the airport and stank of aviation fuel. The river at Horley looked nice but there were no fish in it. Upstream of the airport the Mole and it tribs held loads of fish, including roach, perch, brown trout, sticklebacks, loach and bullhead. The first fish I ever caught was a rudd from one of its tributary at Rowfant.

Back