• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Anyone boat fishing the thames?

Tony Carter

As the title I am now living about 10mins from the thames and really keen to get a boat next year...

if anyone has personal experiences of the marinas or the best way to get into finding out about the best type of boat would be great to hear from you?

Thanks
Tony

hi tony, alton marina, chertsey meads marina or penton hook marina, all have barbel in their sections, 15-16ft boat with preferably a small cabin or cuddy where you can shelter from the wind or rain ect, on the thames a 15 hp outboard is sufficient and economical, get a trailer this gives lots of opportunity to fish other stretches and also helps keep the boat out of
the water which is beneficial, if you wanna know more pm me mate:)

I don't fish the Thames tony, but I have a few boats and mainly use them on the Severn.
You really need to decide what type of fishing you are going to do first....

I mainly predator fish from my boat, but I am planning on doing some barbel fishing from it next season.

If you are going to fish for barbel (or carp), doing nights, then something with a cuddy as john says, will be ideal.
If you are going to lure fish for pike/perch/zander, then an open top boat with a pram hood cuddy will probably be better.
Obviously, ally boats are lighter, but more expensive, fibreglass are heavy, but I've found them more user friendly.

You also need to think about storage, or are you planning on keeping it in a marina.
Also, will it just be you, or will you have a boat partner.... Launching and retrieving on your one can be challenging at times.

Regarding engines, I run a 10hp mariner, but I've played about with several different engines, trying to do it on the cheap... Don't bother.

Get yourself a decent outboard from the start and look after it....
An electric outboard is also useful, especially for sneaking into spots quietly.....

Steve

I don't fish the Thames tony, but I have a few boats and mainly use them on the Severn.
You really need to decide what type of fishing you are going to do first....

I mainly predator fish from my boat, but I am planning on doing some barbel fishing from it next season.

If you are going to fish for barbel (or carp), doing nights, then something with a cuddy as john says, will be ideal.
If you are going to lure fish for pike/perch/zander, then an open top boat with a pram hood cuddy will probably be better.
Obviously, ally boats are lighter, but more expensive, fibreglass are heavy, but I've found them more user friendly.

You also need to think about storage, or are you planning on keeping it in a marina.
Also, will it just be you, or will you have a boat partner.... Launching and retrieving on your one can be challenging at times.

Regarding engines, I run a 10hp mariner, but I've played about with several different engines, trying to do it on the cheap... Don't bother.

Get yourself a decent outboard from the start and look after it....
An electric outboard is also useful, especially for sneaking into spots quietly.....

Steve

Thanks for all of the replies men.

Think ill need something with a cabin as it will be for barbel and carp fishing.

I will be using it on my own i guess so think i will have to have it in a marina.

Not sure if i should find the boat first or find a space in a marina!

Boat Sales 247 some nice little boats on hear for 2-3k...

Tony, you shouldnt have any problem getting a berth in the marinas mentioned, (1st one was walton marina) personally you may be better off keeping it on a trailer during the cold wet periods unless your going to get expensive covers and remove the outboard during freezing conditions, you will definately see the thames with different eyes once your out and about in a boat mate, ps get a GOOD life jacket:)

what methods are most popular when fishing for barbel from a boat?

I tried touch ledgering under a local weir last summer but found it almost impossible to differentiate the movements from the bait caused by fish from the movement of the boat...

i aint ever had a lot of problem figuring out when a bite comes with thames barbel, personally if i was out in autumn or winter cosied up in the front shelter then a bite alarm and a dollop of plasticine as a bobbin does the job nicely, or i could work hard at trotting :)

Tony, you shouldnt have any problem getting a berth in the marinas mentioned, (1st one was walton marina) personally you may be better off keeping it on a trailer during the cold wet periods unless your going to get expensive covers and remove the outboard during freezing conditions, you will definately see the thames with different eyes once your out and about in a boat mate, ps get a GOOD life jacket:)

Thanks John, is it best to secure a mooring before buying a boat?

I should be able to keep it on a trailer in the marina hopefully but i live in a terrace as im in London so no storage at home!

Its a fantastic stretch of the thames around here, just need to start fishing it :)

Tony, if your keeping it on a trailer then most boatyards or marinas can and will have instant storage space mate, ebays the way to go finding yer boat mate you should be able to grab a 15/16 footer with shelter and outboard and trailer from around £1500, have a look, most boats for sale in boatyards or marinas ect come at a premium price;)

No one has mentioned a portaboat yet. Easy to launch, car topable, very light, I have fourteen footer not got much use out of it yet and I need to get a folding cuddy sorted for her. I also have twelve and a half foot GRP with cuddy, I have just about come to the conclusion the cuddy is a total waste of space Too low to be of use and makes the boat small heavy and a sod to row in a wind. It’s going to get the chop when this pike season is over.
You will need about three and a half miles of good rope, two lead mudweights, mine are 15k a bit heavy by some standards but neither boat drags them. Two four pint milk bottles make good emergency floats if you need to ditch them when the next budding Steve Redgrave is trying to ram you, you need to watch out for the rowers they own the river, the bank the air you breathe. I find a jerkbait rod with a nice big 8oz jerkbait with a pair of 0 sized trebles, 50lb Ti leader and 80lb braid helps their understanding of the rivers right of ways. I can turn a coxed eight with that setup. And oars, don’t rely on trying to pull a motor when something is going wrong. I have a lecky outboard as well and a colour sounder. The Thames is blessed with plenty of free slips some very good some a bit lacking; you will need a Thames licence and insurance. I use craftinsure, best I can find.
Hope this helps
Kev.

Back