• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Approaching new water?

Stephen Crowhurst

This Season I'm planning on concentrating on a different river to the Stour which saw my attention almost exclusively over the last few years. Whilst I've walked and fished bits my knowledge of it is low. So how do you guys approach a new water?
There's a few miles to fish and walk, which I don't mind in the slightest. My plan was to walk from one end to the other baiting in a dropper of hemp or pellets and see what appears over the free offering on my way back. Does that sound fair and productive?

I would call it a medium river which is very helpful I know. It's larger and pacier than the Stour, I'd say which one it was but it's a rather tight lipped river.

Good luck this coming season Stephen.
Given that you may have a lot of bank to cover on new venues I think I would dispense with gear and just pick a still dry day to try and spot a few fish to start with and make a mental note.
Absolutely nothing wrong with chucking in a few freebies of course.
I would try and spot decent chub up in the water which isn't normally difficult because both chub and barbel will often co-habit favoured spots.
The tricky bit on the next outing is then getting a whiskers to pickup the bait before a greedy chub snaffles it!
Always like to take note of evidence of farbank swims as well, not just as a guide but to avoid someone else "sharing" your dream swim when first on an unfamiliar venue!
ATB Dave

Cheers Dave, it's not a heavily pressured stretch as far as I know but it's not devoid of anglers. Certainly not the kind of place you could bait a swim up for a few days and see what you can draw in.
I've got the first week of the season off and I will continue to update my "self improvement thread" as I go. My biggest issue last year was a simply couldn't find any Barbel, I saw a few on the move but only one that was actually regularly holding and feeding which I failed to hook. I've consumed a lot of stuff over the winter and have some new tricks up my sleeve. So hopefully I can up my catch rate a fair way. Fingers crossed. Midnight start in Throop this year and counting the days down already.

Back