• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Are 2 rods enough?

Take one idiot on the Trent yesterday fishing 4 rods. His rods had been taken out twice by passing boats. For me the major problem is leaving baites hooks in the water for poor fish to pick up. Some palce on the river are not even bailliffed and i know some that are bailliffed that money comes first. I just hate bad Angling and its the minority again that upsets the majority.

The real issue is whether 3 rods can be fished safely in the fishes interest - as was quoted earlier I wouldn't trust some people with 1 rod. Have seen people totally stoned on bank and couldn't be woken up when they had a run.

I regularly fish three rods and occasionally fish four. I have the appropriate two licences to enable me to do so legally. For many years, I wouldn't have used more than two rods where others would use more. It took quite a while for me to get comfortable using three on an appropriate venue. I'm still not entirely comfortable using four. Waters quiet enough to fish four rods safely, and with enough space to not impinge on other anglers, are fairly rare.

However, I've never dreamed of fishing more than two rods on a river, and, more often than not, I fish one rod. Unless the riparian owner states otherwise, it's perfectly legal to fish three or four rods on a river, provided you have two rod licences. Everything depends on the water concerned, the methods employed and species targeted. As far as I can recall, I have never had a double hook up. Rather than luck (or bad luck, depending on you point of view), I put that down to me regularly having made the correct choices in what might be appropriate.

I'm not particularly concerned by this licencing proposal. Those that are sensible will still fish responsibly. Those that aren't sensible now, won't be any more or less responsible. If riparian owners believe that more than two rods is inappropriate for their water, they can easily make an ammedment to their rules as they see fit. Just because the law allows the use of two, three or four rods, doesn't mean that local rules can't be applied. I dare say that a minority will cheerfully ignore such rules. I'll bet that plenty of them cheerfully ignore the current rules anyway. I've long been less than convinced that the majority fishing three or four rods actually have licences for such anyway. Very occasionally, I've seen people fishing more than four rods, there's no way that they can be properly licenced for that, it's simply against the law.

https://www.gov.uk/fishing-licences

i think sensible anglers will only fish two rods max on a river unless after carp but the few river carpers i know only fish two.
the problem will be those that have come off commercials with not much river experience thinking 3 rods will be best without thinking of the problems they may have.
then there`s the poaching problem to contend with, we recently had an incident of one " angler " using 8 rods yes 8 !.
clubs should set a rod limit then hopefully it may reduce the problems.

I've never had a double hook-up but came very close to it on one occasion. Fishing a still water, I had what was to be a PB tench resting in my landing net, when a double-figure carp set off with the bait on my second rod. At that point I hadn't weighed or photographed the tench and it had been unhooked. You can imagine my trepidation when I finally got the carp within netting distance! Fortunately, I managed to keep the one in the net whilst adding the other to it.

If you are allowed 2 hooks per rod potentially you could get 100lb of barbel in a couple hours then go home after sending pics to the angling mags?

One man, one rod, why be greedy. Just enjoy every minute you can on the river bank, whether catching or not. :)

All any club has to do is state in its rules that a maximum of two rods can be used on a river, but three on still waters (and it's printed clearly on any day-ticket) and that solves the problem before it begins.

Yes that's right Ashfield has a two rod river rule that stops using three rods what ever the licence fee or rule is. Simples!

Back