• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Back pack

Graham Billingham

Looking for a small back pack, anyone got or seen the Korum Day Sack it looks about half the size of the standard ones which are far too big for what i need.Got lots of bags but wanted something to go over 2 shoulders to make carrying easier on long walks.

I got a Chub Day Sack around £25. new. Capacity is 20 litres but I find its just a bit too small to get most of my esentials in.its nice and comfy on the back too but im now looking for a slightly larger ruckbag. this is their spec from the internet. Dan

The Chub Daysack is a stylish, lightweight and compact rucksack with a 20ltr capacity. Due to the many special design features the Daysack is extremely versatile for use on or off the bank. Ideal for the roving or stalking angler who wants to travel light, the Daysack is fitted with very comfortable padded shoulder straps and chest
harness with waist belt. Pocket for hydration reservoir with outlet

■ Internal access music player pocket with headphone port
■ Top half zipped for easy access
■ Front zipped pocket with organiser
■ Adjustable side bottle holder
■ Integral rain cover

http://www.chubfishing.com/en-gb/products/carryalls-rucksacks/rucksacks/daysack/

This is what I have and have to say it's perfect for the roving approach with light tackle, but it's amazing what you can fit in there when you have to. It's comfortable on the back, has some handy pockets for things like licences and club cards and a water bottle holder on the side. Enough room for all the essentials but not enough for the 'well I might need this piece of kit if so and so happens...' pieces of tackle if you get my drift.

Very good for 25 quid.

I thought you were a vest or webbing man Bob?

I have a Korum ruck bag which is great for winter as it has room for all your spare clothes which you need as the temps drop in the evening, I just wish they did a small one for summer when we all travel a bit later.

I got a Korum ruck bag as well but it don't fit on the back properly as there is no Chest Harness and waist belt so its uncomfortable and tends to slip off your back. Also if you attatch the so called Korum light chair it weight a ton and you need a degree to fit it all together. Not recommended

I have three of the rucksacks mentioned by posters so far.

Bobs - 35L Nash Nomad (mki) - super rucksack, shame they stopped production on this one! Use it occasionally for river work still, but mostly use it for tenching or shortish carp sessions these days.

The (newish) 20L Nash Ruckbag is quite good, but my younger brother has started fishing again and I gave it to him.

But the one I use 99% of the time on the river, is the small Chub rucksack
in Chris's link. Used it for a few seasons now and find it just about right for me. For £25, you get good value for money imo and it's served me well. Very comfortable, which is a must for me, as I do quite a lot of 'rolling meat' and it can stay on my back for up to 3-4hrs at a time.

Good rucksack for the no kitchen sink river rover imo.

Daz.

I got a Korum ruck bag as well but it don't fit on the back properly as there is no Chest Harness and waist belt so its uncomfortable and tends to slip off your back. Also if you attatch the so called Korum light chair it weight a ton and you need a degree to fit it all together. Not recommended

With respect Danny this is a bag for transporting your fishing tackle at most a mile or two down the bank, it's not something you would wear to yomp across Dartmoor and while it may not be the most comfortable of bags (It hangs a little low on the back) it is a pretty good compromise, especially when used with a chair.

The comment about the weight is irrelevant as you will be carrying a chair anyway, also it is so simple to work out how to attach it that when my Mrs (who doesn't have a degree) gave me mine for Christmas she said, "I've tried it with your chairs (I have two, one low back and one with arms, neither of them are Korum) and they both fit".

Another vote for the Aqua Products 35 ltr bag-sits on the shoulders well,comfortable and feels more like a proper rucksack that fishing tackle...look no further

I spent ages looking for a rucksack that suited my needs, I did have a look at the Korum ruckbag but it was a bit too big for what I wanted plus Ian Welch has one!
If moneys not a problem then the Angling Intelligence stalker bag is the one to go for in my opinion, but at sixty quid it’s not cheap!
I finally decided on one of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BCB-DAY-SACK-...=320565773188&ps=63&clkid=7480512168953536513

It holds everything I need for a days fishing and more.
I am really pleased with it. Its nice and comfy to carry with padded back support and at 25l is pretty roomy, the only slight niggle is the shoulder straps could do with being a little longer.

Tom.

I have the old Wychwood maximiser rucksack that is 40l and you can zip the sides off to make it around 25l excellent bit of kit, however they are discontinued but something on this vein would be ideal and flexible.
Looked into this for my brother and he went for the TFG x tuff rucksack, good value for money.
Here are some that I whittled down for him

Wychwood Rover Sack 35L
http://www.cheshirefishing.co.uk/shop/wychwood/roverrucksack.htm

Daiwa Roving Rucksack 40L
http://www.englandangling.co.uk/displayProduct.asp?prodCode=MRR40_2
Korum Day sack
http://www.matchmansupplies.co.uk/korum_itm_day_sack.html

No a mick take, army surplus?
http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/s...ous/genuine-army-issue-waterproof-627309.html
http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/s.../new-genuine-mod-army-issue-black-483346.html
again not taking the mick but a good idea with cool bag?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rucksack-zip-...ackpacksRucksacks_Bags_EH&hash=item3cb591389e

ruckbag

With respect Danny this is a bag for transporting your fishing tackle at most a mile or two down the bank, it's not something you would wear to yomp across Dartmoor and while it may not be the most comfortable of bags (It hangs a little low on the back) it is a pretty good compromise, especially when used with a chair.

The comment about the weight is irrelevant as you will be carrying a chair anyway, also it is so simple to work out how to attach it that when my Mrs (who doesn't have a degree) gave me mine for Christmas she said, "I've tried it with your chairs (I have two, one low back and one with arms, neither of them are Korum) and they both fit".

I see where you are coming from Adrian but lets get things right. The Korum light Chair isn't light. It weight 9lb 12ozs. The Ruckbag is good but could be better if waist and chest straps were fitted to stop it sliding about when you're climbing over fences etc.,Your point of attaching a different chair to the bag is a good idea which im gonna try. My pal Nathan Walter was in stiches when he saw me trying to fix it all up. He has renamed the light chair the Heavy Light Chair. Tite lines:)

I see where you are coming from Adrian but lets get things right. The Korum light Chair isn't light. It weight 9lb 12ozs. The Ruckbag is good but could be better if waist and chest straps were fitted to stop it sliding about when you're climbing over fences etc.,Your point of attaching a different chair to the bag is a good idea which im gonna try. My pal Nathan Walter was in stiches when he saw me trying to fix it all up. He has renamed the light chair the Heavy Light Chair. Tite lines:)
I've recently bought one, and have used it with my Fox Adjusta chair which is fairly light. Doesn't need a degree to attach it, but I do have to unclip the bottom of the straps to feed through the deck-chair style legs. When roaming, I don't bother with the chair-clips, the staps hold it in place.

But I do agree about the straps sliding off, I have had trouble with the bag coming off when clambering down steep muddy banks - very entertaining for any witnesses! A chest strap would make all the difference.

Part of the reason for buying this was because it's flat shape sits nicely on the steep sloping pegs on the middle Severn. My normal bag could too easily roll down the bank and I've nearly lost it a couple of times (including phone and camera).

If you think the lightweight chair is heavy, the standard Korum chair is 14lb! Actually 9lb isn't too bad. The Fox Stalker is 12lb. The Chub lo-lite ("super lightweight") is 8lbs. IIRC, my Adjusta chair is 7lb.

Last edited:
Sam,
Was looking at those from fishtec, but the cheap price and saying it is made from a light weight material i was wondering if it was strong enough for throwing about on the river bank.

Back