• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bait storage

Brian Timson

Not strictly just for barbel BUT.... how do people keep their perishable baits going soft/mouldy/turning to casters etc if you have to leave in a car before fishing. I have looked into cool boxes with 12v/230v if anyone uses one feedback appreciated.

Brian

cant say I have used a powered cool box for bait but i do have a motorhome/campervan and have dabbled with cool boxes for keeping beer and soft drinks cold while on holiday both here and in spain.
I think you will find the problem is they are really not that good unless you go for a proper compressor run one which will cost a small fortune..i have a fridge one installed already
they will run very hot and draw a lot of power..maybe 8-10 amps..add this to a hot sunny day with it in the car and the chances of it catching fire are very high indeed
also i think they cool to something like 18-20 degrees below the outside temperature..if you car hits 45-55 degrees inside in summer sometimes more! it will be next to useless
Only my opinion though :)

Put your bait in a coolbag/box, in a bucket or maggot box if using them then just get a couple of bags of ice around it

i tried the plug in cool box it uses enormous amount of battery power, i do think their is a camping coolbox that runs on electric or camping gas, not enormous but big enough, i think it maybe colemans brand

Electric cool boxes do work HOWEVER you have to be careful while using them as they work in ambient temp so the hitter the inside the car the more the motor has to work then add direct sunlight into the mix they have to work even harder.
Reason I know this is in the last three weeks I've been to 2 car fires which have involved electric cool boxes as I'm in the fire service.granted one of these was a sales rep who kept his lunch in it all day but the other bloke reckon it had only been on a hour or so.
Best off n safer buying a foil lined bait caddy n like Wayne said put some ice packs in jobs a good un

Mark

When there is several of us camping we use kingspan...
Due to a couple of the lads being builders its readily available and works a treat, it can be cut to what ever size is required which we usually make a coffin shape and then fill with lots of ice, beer, meat, dairy, bait etc..

Keeps everything chilled for days as long as you keep the lid on ;)

Why not look at the Icey-tek coolers. I've not used one myself but reviews look great also some of the Coleman camping cooler, no electricity needed and seem to do the job.

Back