• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

barbel on the fly

Rhys Perry

Had this today while out fly fishing! First for me.:)

rhys-perry-albums-pics-picture5480-20150712-193955.jpg

No idea Dave, it was caught in the rea brook, which runs into the Severn at Shrewsbury. I've not heard of any stockings.

There's a chap (Jorge Garcia) who posts barbel on the fly videos on my Google+ site (Barbel Angling). Not sure if I'm allowed to post a link, so will err on the side of caution. :)

Looks like great fun on a light fly rod (6/7 weight).

To see such a small barbel is a rarity never mind catching it on a fly! That's a naturally spawned fish as no stocking has been carried out on the Rae Brook. I've forwarded the picture to Angus Rae who's been been working closely with Shropshire Wildlife in their work on this Severn tributary.

Hopefully Graham won't mind me posting this link:

Wildflies.com: Er....WOW!

Richard - I've got to be slightly less precious about posting links to other sites these days. The only links I object to are to guiding/fishery/accommodation sites as these conflict with people who pay to advertise on BFW, and I've got to be sensitive to these people.

Thanks Andy, for letting me know, and I understand where you've set the bar, and why. My Google thing's easy enough to find, without a link. Cheers. :)

Back