• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Best scales

John Care

After almost bottoming out my existing scales at the weekend (lucky me), what scales does everyone use on here...digitai or otherwise?

My current ones bottom out at 14.5lb....

Show off

I use Avons which your unable to buy new. Just cannot get on with digital scales.

it was digitals i was thinking of, the RH 9000's look ok for about 40 quid. they're smaller than dial scales, so will fit in my bag much easier.

RH 9000s work for me. Easy to read, have a backlight, a tare setting, compact.

John

There is a post regarding the 9000 scales on page 3 of this area, you may want to read it before you buy.

I've recently taken 2 sets of 9000's back as they drained my batteries both times after i first used them, settled on korums digital scales which seem fine.

Personally i think its a quietly control issue because i know of other sets that are lasting ok but reading about them on here they all seem to be recently purchased ones, i might be wrong.

I take my salter ones which weigh in 2oz sections (as a back up), and the newish round Korum digi's. Found them excellent, didn't like the new RH ones, me and my mate had a set, and in the cool air when doing nights, the display was barely readable!
Still think you can't beat the avons!

Been using the Korum ones, weighed some big carp on them as well as other species and they have never missed a beat, easy to use, very compact and come with a nice protective cover.

Got Ruben heatons for carp fishing and fox digital stalker for barbel fishing.

The fox ones have let me down several times. Very disappointing.

Q-How often do you hear anglers having problems with Reubon Heaton dial scales / or Avon Scales ? A -Very rarely . When it comes to digital scales all the brands have some reliability issues . Some are plagued with problems , others apparently are fine , but it still appears to be a bit of a gamble when buying electronic scales

I much prefer the reliability of dial scales, there's something about digital ones that just doesn't appeal to me although I can't put my finger on it.
Out of curiosity does anyone know if local authority weights and measures can check scales for free or if they charge? I'd be interested to know just how accurate mine are weighing..... not that I've caught much worth putting in a weight sling lately but you just never know when one of these monsters will pick up the bait!

i use avons and fox digital ones, the fox ones are really accurate as long as you check/change batteries regulary but are a bit heavy :)

reuben heaton flyweight mk 2 40lb in 1oz divisions..,nice and compact and for £25 ish or less does the job very well, put them in your bag and forget about them, they are there every time with no worries...

I've caught potential PBs this year and because of my Fox digitals I will never know their true weight. At times they just throw out random weights. Then I get them home and they test OK. It's hugely frustrating.

Back