• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

BFW poll on close season lift or extension.

Would you like to see the close season remain?

• Yes, keep it as it is.

Votes: 101 41.2%
  • No, a complete lift on ban.

Votes: 79 32.2%
  • No, but a new one put in place with more suited start and end dates. (discuss options)

Votes: 65 26.5%

• Total voters
With respect Howard, I don't consider it my job to take on a large youth (and his two mates) to enforce antiquated and redundant legislation originally designed as social engineering.

the telephone avoids the confrontation.
would you confront possible burglars in your next door neighbours?
or would you ring police and then write down as much descriptive info as possible?

John, do you really believe that the EA or any law enforcement body, would've come out and evicted these fellas? No chance.

The Severn and the Thames catchment areas are rife with people flaunting this law, the authorities are undergunned, they can't afford to put the fuel in the vehicles, let alone get a few officers to pursue these law breakers.

Shame really, as there'd make a mint initially, until folk finally got the message.

With respect Howard, I don't consider it my job to take on a large youth (and his two mates) to enforce antiquated and redundant legislation originally designed as social engineering.

Why not? I have, because the red mist descends and I am left with little choice other than to confront, I am not a hard man or a hero, but to use your excuse society would be in a even worst place.

If you as an Angler can look the other way then we might all just give up now.

I disagree Neil, reading recently in the angling mags a bailiff had a knife pulled and used on him. In reality yes we all would challenge anybody for fishing illegally, but when people ( and that word is used in the loosest of terms) are happy to carry a deadly weapon and use it it's time to just observe and report im afraid. I am also not a hard man, and at 5'1" I can be lost in long grass. But I hear the Italian job music playing. The self preservation society!

close season

I am firmly In the no close season camp the reasoning being If you leave the banks unfished for 3 months or so you allow unwanted predators free range to reak havoc undisturbed and other animals birds are encouraged to nest away from the popular angling sites thus avoiding disturbance to them when the closed season comes to an end.

Why not? I have, because the red mist descends and I am left with little choice other than to confront, I am not a hard man or a hero, but to use your excuse society would be in a even worst place.

Well done for confronting illegal fishers Neil i would not, there are others who are better trained in dealing with this problem and any violence that may occur as a result of the offenders being challenged.

There is always a danger of this type of situation turning nasty as the offenders are not known to you and its impossible to know how they will react to being challenged, remember some of these illegal fishers are also in the country illegally and come from backgrounds where violence is the norm, they do not carry knives for any other reason than to use them if need be and i for one am not prepared to be possibly fataly injured for the sake of a bit of fishing.

Well done for confronting illegal fishers Neil i would not, there are others who are better trained in dealing with this problem and any violence that may occur as a result of the offenders being challenged.

There is always a danger of this type of situation turning nasty as the offenders are not known to you and its impossible to know how they will react to being challenged, remember some of these illegal fishers are also in the country illegally and come from backgrounds where violence is the norm, they do not carry knives for any other reason than to use them if need be and i for one am not prepared to be possibly fataly injured for the sake of a bit of fishing.

It's all how you approach them I guess, never had a problem with the threats of violence, and all were compliant really, add a bit of humour and I never preach, but prefer to talk of their own welfare if they caught :rolleyes:

Confrontation can lead to some bad situations developing, i wont do it.

oh i would do it if annoyed, bad heart or not a life risk can work in more ways than one:( i know i can take a 6" stab wound in the gut
could they? especialy if its a knife skilled bloke like you know who lol

oh i would do it if annoyed, bad heart or not a life risk can work in more ways than one:( i know i can take a 6" stab wound in the gut
could they? especialy if its a knife skilled bloke like you know who lol

:confused:crocodile dundee:confused:???;)

Back