• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bob gill rods

There not all they are cracked up to be Richard , nice rods but over priced in my view for what after all is a carbon rod made to look like a built cane rod , i.e hexagonal :D

Ah well, something is only worth what you're willing to pay for it. I picked mine up secondhand and, for me, a new one would be an indulgence too far. 'If money were no object', however, I'd have a pair.

In my view, they're very much what they're cracked up to be. :)

Ah well, something is only worth what you're willing to pay for it. I picked mine up secondhand and, for me, a new one would be an indulgence too far. 'If money were no object', however, I'd have a pair.

In my view, they're very much what they're cracked up to be. :)

If you are happy Richard then that is really all that matters :D As I said , they are nice rods but a bit too pricey . In a way it's like cane rods, people pay a good deal of money for something they like , it's all very subjective ...

Bob (or anyone else who might know), any thoughts on how light a tip section it’s possible to apply an isoblob to? Obviously works very well are relatively strong tips/ top sections, but i’m wondering if it’s even possible on lighter quivertips or would it cause problems?

Bob (or anyone else who might know), any thoughts on how light a tip section it’s possible to apply an isoblob to? Obviously works very well are relatively strong tips/ top sections, but i’m wondering if it’s even possible on lighter quivertips or would it cause problems?
My guess would be they’d work great on quiver tips Stuart. The iso blob attaches to the very last eye so you wouldn’t loose any dexterity in the tip. What probably wouldn’t work so well would be isotopes shrunk tubed onto the tip between eyes as that would effect a very sensitive tips ability to bend in that place. Another option is to whip on a little bit of wire like a doubled over paper clip which you can sleave a tube on and the isotope which would stand up proud. The enterprise ones work the same way. I don’t like them particularly mind as line will easily loop over them. I threw a new isotope in the river once off one of those enterprise things so I’d suggest if you do use one glue the tube and the isotope where they fit or it can be a costly exercise.
I think isoblobs would work well on quiver tips if you can get them done. Only one man will know for sure. @Bob Gill

In brief:
When I was messing with the isoblobs, I tried many variations including double blobs, different colours of both isotopes and surrounding powder and other variations. I also tried quiver tips which seemed OK.
When developing fishing bits I always believe in testing thoroughly and actually using them in real fishing situations - that way you identify any problems and modify as appropriate.
Cheers
Bob

Stuart, are you talking about very light 3/4 oz tips, on light tips I wrap the top 18 inches in white Plumbers ptfe tape and use an enterprise quiver tip connector on the tube of the top eye ring(you can ptfe tape the ring tube if its too small). I use ptfe because it unwraps without any damage to the tip and can be done in 20 seconds rather than having to paint. I superglue the small stem the silicon sits on so the black fitting cannot fall off,the silicon can also be superglued to this fitting. This tip is 3/4 oz it would work better with a smaller nightlite but I have hundreds of the larger ones to use up. On this tip I also used permenant marker to put black bands

Attachments

• 20200113_085125.jpg
    20200113_085125.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
In brief:
When I was messing with the isoblobs, I tried many variations including double blobs, different colours of both isotopes and surrounding powder and other variations. I also tried quiver tips which seemed OK.
When developing fishing bits I always believe in testing thoroughly and actually using them in real fishing situations - that way you identify any problems and modify as appropriate.
Cheers
Bob

Good to know, thanks Bob.

As the others have said, do let us know if there’s ever a time you’re taking orders again 😊

Stuart, are you talking about very light 3/4 oz tips, on light tips I wrap the top 18 inches in white Plumbers ptfe tape and use an enterprise quiver tip connector on the tube of the top eye ring(you can ptfe tape the ring tube if its too small). I use ptfe because it unwraps without any damage to the tip and can be done in 20 seconds rather than having to paint. I superglue the small stem the silicon sits on so the black fitting cannot fall off,the silicon can also be superglued to this fitting. This tip is 3/4 oz it would work better with a smaller nightlite but I have hundreds of the larger ones to use up. On this tip I also used permenant marker to put black bands

Looks like a good solution, Mark.

Yes, was thinking about down to 1oz, so fairly light. I used the Drennan connectors and isotopes at the moment and usually attach two as I find it easier to watch then for some reason. But as soon as they’re not needed they’re off again, which is all a bit of a faff, so i’m looking at alternative, permanent solutions, hence the original question.

Sorry to go off topic but did you get my message the other day? Sent it on FB messenger and I know they can sometimes get lost or ‘junked’

Sorry to go off topic but did you get my message the other day? Sent it on FB messenger and I know they can sometimes get lost or ‘junked’
Stuart, my privacy settings sent the message to a grayed out message request area, so just replied and sent a friend request that will make things easier.

Back