• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Can someone please explain ?

Getting back to the original question. It is because as a manufacturer they cannot be seen to undercut the outlets they supply that sell at full RRP e.g high street stores that pay high business rates, pay staff more than min wage, don't use zero hours contracts and pay tax to HMRC.

I don't buy anything from Amazon as a point of principle.

The manufacturer probably maintains a website more as a promotional tool for their product.

Getting back to the original question. It is because as a manufacturer they cannot be seen to undercut the outlets they supply that sell at full RRP e.g high street stores that pay high business rates, pay staff more than min wage, don't use zero hours contracts and pay tax to HMRC.

I don't buy anything from Amazon as a point of principle.

The manufacturer probably maintains a website more as a promotional tool for their product.

John. i understand/appreciate what you are saying, but wouldn,t you want the product( in this case a flask ),for the best price ? £24.99 instead of £30.95. What if it was an expensive piece of fishing tackle, that you have always dreamed of owning, and you could now finally buy it, after years of waiting, i.e. a rod or reel, and you could save yourself maybe £50 buying from Amazon, would you still pay the higher price elsewhere?

Back on the original question is think it's because the manufactures give certain discounts to the outlets who then pass some onto the consumer.

Had an example last week. I need a flue gas analyser so phoned up kane who quoted me around 650 plus vat for the kit is needed. I then went to grahams plumbers merchants who phoned then up got quoted the same price however they automatically get 25% off so they then knocked 20% off the rrp for me. They're making 5% just for ordering it in and then I'm saving 20% off the price I was quoted direct from the mmanufacturer. Seems strange to me as I'd of thought cutting out the middle man would be cheaper but apparently not.

I have a green Stanley one I bought in America,got a few dints now lol
They did a cheaper version in tescos, same make bug not as good :D

Derek, back in the day when ABU tackle was all the rage, I went to Sweden. While I was there I went to a tackle shop with the aim of stocking up on gear. I naively assumed that because that was the country of origin, so there would be no shipping or import tax to pay, it would be cheap as chips. Sadly, it turned out that the poor Swedes pay twice as much for their own tackle as we do :eek: .

I now know it's all based on cost of living/higher salaries out there, but it still pis**d me off back then :D:D

Cheers, Dave.

Well, after 15 months of use, i'm glad to report, that the flask is still going strong, and working superbly. As good as the day i bought it. Anyone who uses a flask, get one of these. :):):)

derek when i was mini cabbing i always carried a large water bottle, small compact gas stove and a small kettle, coffee mate, sugar and coffee, al ya need is a quiet spot where ya dont get mugged while brewing up mate:)

derek when i was mini cabbing i always carried a large water bottle, small compact gas stove and a small kettle, coffee mate, sugar and coffee, al ya need is a quiet spot where ya dont get mugged while brewing up mate:)

What....you didn't have one of those sons of yours riding shotgun John :D

Cheers, Dave.

Flasks hmmm, I am firmly in the " dont believe a word of the manufacturers hype " on this one. I had one of the expensive green Stanley indestructibles a load of cr@ p it was as well, kept water piping hot when put into the pre heated flask for well over 45 mins :0(
got my moey back on that one.
Tried a couple of other" rated" models, also cr@ p.They were sent packing as well for return of cash paid..
Then one day paid about £8.00 for a 1 litre stainless Asda special, and when pre heated then filled with boiling water it stayed hot for the length of a good session, say 12 hours . Couldnt believe it ! I then wanted one a bit smaller for short sessions on the bank, bought a Vango flask, similar in design to the Asda Special..... its cr@ p as well. Cant be bothered to return it to the camping shop I bought it from so its still in the cupboard.
I am a bit of ocd on the flask front I still get the urge to buy one of the new ones when I see them in outdoor shops, my resistance is getting weaker.

BTW I have been looking for ages for a decent flask that has an insulated screw cup top that holds a decent amount of liquid, not an eggcup full.I always take an insulated mug with me to keep my drink warm once poured , does anybody know of a flask that has such a cup as an integral part, maybe with a cup lid that somehow screws to the flask top or bottom as well ?

Dave

I have a Thermos Ultimate which is stainless steel with screw cap. It is really great, even after many hours and half empty the contents stay piping hot. It is also robust and easy to keep clean. Definitely a good buy.
Mike

Having used many many flasks over the years, some cheap and some not so. Decided on investing in a high quality flask. After reading lots and lots of reviews, i,ve just ordered a " Blue stainless King Thermos 1.2ltr ". Ordered it from Amazon for 24.99 with free delivery. But can anyone please explain, WHY IT COSTS £30.95 " on THERMOS,s own website. It baffles me, how someone else can sell it cheaper, than the manufacturers own website. :confused:

Oops sorry :D, maybe should have posted this on the social board, but i do use the flask for Barbel fishing :p

Here you go Dereck....looks like you made a good choice.

https://wiki.ezvid.com/best-thermoses

Look at the price of this one !

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/field-keywords=Thermos King thermoses/?tag=ezvid-21

Dave

dave, they were always on a door nearby or their mates were, but i never got much trouble in my car, probably took one look at me and thought nooooo
heheheh

Back